Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The future's bright

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The youth of today :rolleyes:

It seems the next crop of this countries future are a bunch of drugged up slackers :eek: This can't be good news ? I'm pleased I started using drugs at a later date in life, I find it worrying that school kids are probably sneaking off for joints during their lunch hour, surely its at such ages drugs can have serious consequences ? Not so much cannabis, but what it may lead to at an age when you really aren't sorted sufficently in the head to make responsible decisions. Include the fact my ability to learn something I've no intrest is somehwhat diminished after a crafty joint and you begin to wonder.

On a happier note, its another nail in the coffin for the 'the current laws don't work' brigade including myself, hopefully Mr Blunkett and Mr Blair are looking on and are a step nearer to admitting their barmy laws aren't cutting tye mustard. Quite how they could go about reducing the use of drugs in young nippers is however a problem I'm not sure off :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree that under 16 is fair too young, even for cannabis.

I would be deeply concerned if a child of mine was toking at that sort of age – however, a mother down the down seems unconcerned that her 14 year old son has just been cautioned for blow!

:eek:
    Indeed this does show that the current drug laws are not working, but if people don't use drugs responsibly as adults, then the laws will need to be changed to make penalties harsher, not softer.

Seriously, if a generation leaves school without learning the fundementals then we as a country are well and truely shafted. And I don't meant the fundementals of sciences, maths and english, but the fundementals of how to live and exist in our society, in the mordern world there really is little option for living outside it.

The issue that needs to be addressed is why do people (school kids) do this in the first place? I think a large contributing factor is the amount of exposure they get to drugs, looking at the "adult" world, they see the "interesting" people taking drugs and the "boreing" people (bankers, doctors, engineers, people that help our society run smoothly) not taking drugs.

They see this as a choice, take drugs and be interesting (you could even get to carry a gun!) or don't and be boreing. I think the only way to break this pattern is to tackle drug users of all types in the stongest and harshest way possible. Maybe (because we do all need to live together) soft drugs could be legalised in the home, but have VERY strong punishments of you're caught smoking ANYWHERE outside, where you could be an influence on the younger generation.

Any thoughts?
    http://www.thesite.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29211
    heh.. yeah, blame the parents.

I seriously think that there should be some sort of exam you need to pass before being allowed to have kids.
    I mean a proper written paper, not just the practicle.

Unfortunatly if any gov. seriously suggested this I'd have to protest, as its a travisty of human rights.
    I think in some cases you can blame the parents but mine were nice to me and I started smoking puff when I was 14 and then started growing weed when I was about 16.
    I do admit that I smoked too much and that it was a bit early but I think it realy depends on the kids, some are just more mature. It wasnt till I was 18 till I did pills though and 19 before I tried any thing else.
    Perhaps its time to look at drugs education, its seems apparent 'just say no' isn't working, maybe teaching our kids about responsible use ? tell them the negatives, but say, if you are going to do it then this is a sensible amount, this would be a sensible environemt to do them, this would be a sensible quantity to consume etc etc.......... Of course the anti brigade would instantly label it as encouraging the kids, its a balancing act.
    Re: The future's bright
    Originally posted by ebb

I'm pleased I started using drugs at a later date in life, I find it worrying that school kids are probably sneaking off for joints during their lunch hour, surely its at such ages drugs can have serious consequences ?

As a 'school kid' I can tell you they most definately are. I've seen eleven year olds stoned to feck and floating around lessons, and kids just over the same age tackling harder stuff.

Personally I'd never smoke during school time because I'm too worried about exams and making sure I study hard this year. I really don't want to miss out on any of the information that teachers give me.
    Without drugs I don't think the last 2 years of school would have been as fun. Fairplay it's quite stupid, but how are u gonna tell a 16 year old who's having an amazing time at school that they should stop smoking weed. In my school ( over at last), it became a joke in the 6th form. Some lunchtimes, about a third of the yeargroup came in stoned after lunchtime. We used to go out for biftas in breaktime or free periods, and even have fat sessions at my mates house at lunch. A couple of the teachers knew but didnt really care. It would ruin the school's reputation too much if they busted everyone. I don't know how we got away with it, but the risk involved made it even more exciting. We used to dare each other, seeing who could smoke the most and go in to school without being pointed out as a state. By the end of 6th form every kid knew what was going on and we even got the vice captain to come out for a smoke. This in the best grammar school in the city, what is the world coming to??

Legalise weed, sit back, chill, have a bifta is what I say. Fuck institutions, fuck school, fuck work, fuck parents, fuck the law. Enjoy cannabis.Sweet.
    gets me how 11 and 12yr olds get hold of the stuff.
    at the end of the day the adult world is responsible for it reaching kids.......catch an adult alowing children to posses drugs...lock em up///beat em up even.
    This issue has been in my head tonight, I've concluded its about sensible use, not use outright, my sister has been smoking weed since about 13, yet she is going to do pharmacy this september, it clearly hasn't messed her up.
    EBB...ilike it. she gets high and then thinks "fuck this..i'm gonna work in the chemists"
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    EBB...ilike it. she gets high and then thinks "fuck this..i'm gonna work in the chemists"

:D wouldn't suprise me, she's recently discovered coke, little junkie, to look at her :confused: all sweet and innocent.
    Re: The future's bright
    Originally posted by ebb
    I'm pleased I started using drugs at a later date in life

i think being older when i started with drugs was a very, very good thing. i had time to better educated and realise the consequences of my actions.

what puzzles me is that is not the case one of my good friends. she tried e 4 months before me last year and ended up an e-head. id say in the course of 10 months at uni, she did 50 pills, maybe more, whereas i only did 4 during the same time. and on weekends when she didnt do pills, she would do mushrooms or shitloads of coke. i just dont get it.

ive got a 14yr old nephew thats more of a brother to me. i found out recently that hes been drunk and done drugs when he didnt even know what they were. you better believe he got a lecture. long one with lots of threats. we come from a family of alcoholics and drug addicts...our generation has got a lot riding on it, and i dont want him(or myself for that matter) to end up like them.
    Re: Re: The future's bright
    Originally posted by Lizzafins

id say in the course of 10 months at uni, she did 50 pills, maybe more

Thats only just over one a week, its not really a huge amount, I know people who do 4/5 a week, which would equate to about 180 over 10 monthes, yet they seem find :eek: I guess the brain stops growing at about 21, flooding it with drugs before that age is potentially going to mess you up :(