Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anorexic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well
were all kinda worried
my mate eats and when i say eats i mean eats a hell of alot like every ten minutes she eats crisps chocolates and drinks nothing but coke and fizzy pop.for lunch she has 5 sarnies 2 cakes and 2 bars of chocolate plus crisps and pop ect almost everyday in he morning for breakfast she eats about 15 peices of toast and for dinner every night she eats nothing but chips.and maybe she does just havea healthy appetite but she goes to the toilet religiously 5times a day at certain times everytime were with her we monitor this and she spends 5-10 minutes on the toilet every time.Also she's now 15 and weighs only 6 and a half stone shes a size 8 clothing
do you think she could have an eating disorder?

Comments

• Options
    :eek:

Ok, this is very strange indeed! If she has an eating disorder it wont be anorexia, more like bullemia. I think that with anorexia you dont actually eat as you believe that you are fat, but with bullemia you eat, then make yourself sick so that it cant make you fat. Maybe shes bullemic? If your that concerned then tell her how concerned you all are. Or maybe shes just get very low metabolism? :confused:
  • Options
    it sounds very much like your friend has bulimia,
    there is no way she could metabolise that amount of food and stay so thin, even with a high metabolism.

bulimia
  • Options
    It could be a number of different things, including hormone disorders, or digestive problems such as malabsorption, or an eating disorder.

Whatever it is, and we can't diagnose over the internet, weight loss like this needs to be reported to a doctor. Encourage your friend to seek medical advice. If you're really worried about them, you might want to think about telling a teacher or a parent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelbabe
    :eek:

Ok, this is very strange indeed! If she has an eating disorder it wont be anorexia, more like bullemia. I think that with anorexia you dont actually eat as you believe that you are fat, but with bullemia you eat, then make yourself sick so that it cant make you fat. Maybe shes bullemic? If your that concerned then tell her how concerned you all are. Or maybe shes just get very low metabolism? :confused:

very true, however some anorexics do develop bulimic symptoms because they believe that eating the smallest amount will set them off onto a binge. you're blood sugar level decreases and despite your thoughts and feelings of being terrified of weight gain and that bastard of a voice in your head, you actually crave those sweet foods which are seen as the enemy.
    bulemia and anorexia are hard to treat and together they are a pain in the arse. many who may be better to others are actually not in their own minds and it is not all about the weight situation; it's about relationships and feelings about yourself that triggers an ED.
    If she's eating all this food, she will have a fast metabolic rate as it will not metabolise in time to change into weight and be stored by the body.
    very confusing, if it was me, i would approach her in such a way that makes her know you are concerned for her health but you are not being nosy or prying into her life. often parents are not the best people to tell (depending on how her realtionships are with them) but even the closest of parents react in horrible ways and although they are very worried, they take drastic measures. often you need more than parents to get you through a difficult situation like this one.
    hope this helps a little, just let her know that you are always there for her. pm me if you need any more, always glad to listen.
    love missx
  • Options
    i agree and am thankful for whats been said but what is getting me is ive just thought about it and she hasnt really lost weight she's always been the same size:|
  • Options
    in which case, she is most likely to be bulemic as you fill yourself with additonal food and throw that up but tend to keep the food from adequate portion sizes such as b'fast, lunch and tea, down.
    the diagnosis of anorexia starts with dramatic weight loss ina short period of time and then moves on to thoughts and feelings of the illness.
    hope that helps,
    love missx