Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Back To Uni and note taking qn...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When does everyone go back to uni?

Also, does anyone have any really good tips for note taking? I found that last year my notes were total shite and I spent most of revision time rewriting them!
(I also found a lot of half finished sentences where I had written 'Lecturer didn't finish sentence' damn those lecturers!)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    ok; first qu, i go back october 1st. so that's another 2 1/2 months hols left :)
    as for the 2nd qu, 'fraid i can't really help there coz we get all ours typed up for us and put into little (!) books by our very lovely lecturers, although it has to be said some of them just can't write or speak sense! esp biochemistry lecturers...

have good holidays :)
    bella
  • Options
    Bloody hell Bella! Which uni do you go to? We just have to sit there and pretend to listen and take our own notes. I am so jealous!!

I go back October too, and I didn't realise it was so long away until you said '2 and a half months' and when you put it like that...!
  • Options
    Note taking tips:

Don't write down every thing they say - get the important stuff down - names and dates of studies and key words...you can look up the info afterwards then.

Set out your notes in a way that is easy to relate to the syllabus (ask your department for a copy if you don't have one) and use key words, that way you won't spend cramming time searching for one fact among a mountain of pages.

Use your own words when writing notes and keep them brief, it will be easier to understand when you read through them again come revision time.

Rewrite notes after lectures, or set aside some time each week for this purpose, that way you won't spend all your revision time making pretty notes.

I know all this is easier said than done and the union bar is always more tempting than study up until exam time, but you'll save yourself so much hassle if you get organised, and once you are in the routine, it won't take that much time at all.

Susie :)