Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

AS Levels - pressure?!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Frankly, I don't care who gets in to universities. As long as the best academically get there, then I think that they are right.

If more public school applicants get in, then so be it. They are better, perhaps, academically? Or better prepared? Either way - it's academically sound.

I will argue to the death for lowering grades for entry in order to meet a politically determined quota. That's insane, and completely against the high academic standards that are set.

Where's the argument now?
  • Options
    It's very true that public schoolboys and girls are better prepared for university life. My father who went to a comprehensive in Reading found the culture shock colossal between school and university that it took him a year to adjust. He says that I (a public schoolboy btw) am better prepared for it which may be a factor that the universities look at. I dunno, I'm not a university. If it would take a state school person a long time to adjust like my dad then that would impede their progress while the people who have already experienced the system can just step right into it and get on with it.
  • Options
    Does AS exam has any pressures? No! I can get 3 As very easily. You are living under such a easy education system, you may feel luchy!
  • Options
    Ok, if u can get 3As so damn easily how come you can't spell the word "lucky"?!

I think I'm much better prepared for university having just left a state school. I think private/public schools can leave people quite sheltered. Normal life contains more of a mixture of people than a private school does.

I don't believe the education system is entirely meritocratic. I have had much more help with my personal statement etc from my state school than many private school kids get. My school put forward so many more people for Oxbridge than the local private schools do, but they only got one person in (and only just).
  • Options
    Ok, if u can get 3As so damn easily how come you can't spell the word "lucky"?!

I think I'm much better prepared for university having just left a state school. I think private/public schools can leave people quite sheltered. Normal life contains more of a mixture of people than a private school does.

I don't believe the education system is entirely meritocratic. I have had much more help with my personal statement etc from my state school than many private school kids get. My school put forward so many more people for Oxbridge than the local private schools do, but they only got one person in (and only just).

To say my opinions are just plain stupid is extremely small-minded, we all base our opinions on our experiences, and my experiences suggest that entrance to the top universities is non-meritocratic. Perhaps its just so ingrained in culture...the idea of anyone from my school "talking with some of the dons at Cambridge" is quite unbelievable.

Personally I just can't understand what's so great about these universities anyway.
  • Options
    oooops sorry...PC is being stroppy :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by RoninEmperor
    Does AS exam has any pressures? No! I can get 3 As very easily. You are living under such a easy education system, you may feel luchy!

Yah, I'll have mentionitis with a twist of irony :p;):D
  • Options
    AS Levels suck!!!! All exams suck, but AS's suck more than all the rest put together!!!!!! They are a complete waste of time!!!!!! They should be abolished NOW!!!!!!!! No, they should never have been introduced in the first place!!!!!!!! All you people who say they aren't that much hard work are completely insane - did you even do AS Levels?????!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have just left school and all I know is stuff I've had to revise - I haven't learnt anything worth knowing at school at all. It's not just the exams, it's the feeling tired all the time for 3 years, it's the spending all your lessons rushing through the syllabus and not being able to discuss important things, it's the not being able to do stuff like music exams or getting drunk cos otherwise you'll fail, it's the not being able to go on uni open days or school trips cos you can't miss lessons.

Grr!!!!!!! Goddam AS's wrecked my teenage years!!!!!!!!

There are 43 '!'s in the first paragraph. That is how much I hate AS's
  • Options
    AS Levels suck!!!! All exams suck, but AS's suck more than all the rest put together!!!!!! They are a complete waste of time!!!!!! They should be abolished NOW!!!!!!!! No, they should never have been introduced in the first place!!!!!!!!

To be honest, I disagree with you there. I'm glad that the exams are modular, since I could take an exam in January and if the results are not what I wanted, I could retake in June. I don't think they are a complete waste of time since they relieve the burden of having to learn 6 units for year 13, the pressure is still there but I think it's not as much.

Although I am repeating myself here I want to stress that I want to do medicine, and if I was under the old system, I would have done chemistry, biology and physics at A level. Under the new system I was able to take on psychology, philosophy and politics as well as chem and bio, and this has allowed me to learn so much more and not have a directed view on things.
    All you people who say they aren't that much hard work are completely insane - did you even do AS Levels?????!!!!!!!!!!!

Ermmm yes. I've done 2 AS years. And in my 2nd year alone I have been able to do work experience at 10 different placements, have driving lessons, do DoE, go out with friends/boyfriend, and go to uni open days.

If the AS system has taught me something it's time managment ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Prufrock
    'etiquette lessons'? do you seriously think we have them? I mean, we don't sit around in tailcoats discussing the queen all day, you know. We aren't complete freaks...

i would never have written that if my friends' new boyf hadn't had them at his school, before i met him i never even knew they existed! dunno where he went and i'm sure not everywhere have them but that's my justification for writing that! sorry it's taken me ages to reply, i've been busy making jam and feeding sheep. no seriously.