Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Horror film recomendation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I really enjoy watching a good horror film but I can't remember being scared watching one. I'm hungry for a decent horror film but I can't seem to find one. I think this genre is sadly dieing because nobody seems to be able to produce a decent horror flick. Alex Chandon produced an excellent movie in Cradle of Fear but it lacked a decent plot. Can anyone recommend a decent horror film out on video or DVD?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The original black and white version of The Haunting, fantastic old style horror minus the gore, and much better for a lack of Zeta-Jones. :)
    the changeling(spooky ghost classic with george c scott) the excorcist III also with george C scott and in my opinion creepier than the first one dead alive (occult classic and comedy) evil dead II/army of darness also comedies, Texas chainsaw massacre II, there is a new realease out where 2 guys are driving cross country and start fucking with a cb and a trucker starts fucking with them but I can't remember the name you'll have to ask.
    the changeling(spooky ghost classic with george c scott)

That film is the scariest film I have ever seen. Most horrors dont really scare me like that, just creep me out abit, but the changeling scares me SO much. I really do get scared watching it, I definately reccomend watching it.
    I went looking for the haunting and changeling today and couldn't find it :( I found the Zeta Jones version of the haunting but thats supposed to be shite. Has anyone seen any of the Japanese films - Ring, Ring 2 or Ring O? Are they any good? They look good.
    joy ride the new movie out on video I was trying to think of. Try that it had me on the edge.
    I don't know if you're into older horror movies, but I find they're much better because there's less pressure to have big moviestars and even though the plots usually lack in substance, they're often pretty twisted.
    You could try and find a film called Demon House, it's pretty strange.

If you haven't seen a film called 'Eraserhead' then I would definetely reccommend it. Its black and white and has barely any speech in the whole film. I've watched it about 3 times and still don't understand what it's on about. Theres only a few characters in it but it is seriously twisted, not so much really scary but leaves you in a weird state! Best to watch when drunk....
    Not a film to everyones taste but if you like the older arty films then go for it.
    Originally posted by viridis
    joy ride the new movie out on video I was trying to think of. Try that it had me on the edge.

I don't think that has been released over here yet :(
    The Shining always gives me the creeps. :eek:
    I think the only film other than cradle of fear that has spooked me out is Se7en! That is so freaky! Its not even a horror but it is kinda scary!
    Originally posted by Broken Heart
    Has anyone seen any of the Japanese films - Ring, Ring 2 or Ring O? Are they any good? They look good.
    My sister is quite into horror films, and she has seen at least one of these (can't remember which) but she said it was really good.
    Copycat is good, but more of a thriller I guess.
    There was this one film that scared the crap outta us, When a Stranger Calls I think its called, maybe When a Stranger Calls Twice. About a stalker, very tense. Although, it was a few years ago, but it still sticks in our heads!
    But then again, The Wishmaster scared me! It was 7am though!:D
    Has anyone seen any of the Japanese films - Ring, Ring 2 or Ring O?

Lmao, oh the memories, we rented ring and we didnt't realise it was in japanese :rolleyes: you spend the whole time reading the subtitles rather than watching the film. We all found it very funny, not really scary at all but good for something to laugh at :D
    Stir of Echoes is good, sort of a jumpy film rather than scary. The Stephen King films are good even though some are so bad they are good.
    Originally posted by Deeeeb

Lmao, oh the memories, we rented ring and we didnt't realise it was in japanese :rolleyes: you spend the whole time reading the subtitles rather than watching the film. We all found it very funny, not really scary at all but good for something to laugh at :D

I watched Ring for the first time last night. I don't think its the kind of movie you sit watching with your mates. You need to absorb all your attention into the plot. I thought it was actually pretty scary in places. Its more psychological than anything. I thought the scene when Sadako came through the TV was pretty scary.
    Originally posted by Lorna

But then again, The Wishmaster scared me! It was 7am though!:D

I kinda like that movie. But haven't they done about 5 of em now? They get a bit boring when they make too many sequals ie Freddy Cruger, Halloween, Friday 13th etc. Too much of the same stuff.

I kinda like that movie. But haven't they done about 5 of em now? They get a bit boring when they make too many sequals ie Freddy Cruger, Halloween, Friday 13th etc. Too much of the same stuff.
    I think there's 3. I can't watch Freddy Krueger, scared the shit outta me when I was younger!:rolleyes: :)
    Originally posted by Lorna

I think there's 3. I can't watch Freddy Krueger, scared the shit outta me when I was younger!:rolleyes: :)

Freddy scared the shit outta me when I was a child too. I remember vaguely my dad putting one of his movies on when I was about 4. My mum said I couldn't sleep for weeks. I also remember seeing a bit cardboard cut out of him in a video shop and I couldn't go in there until it was gone. Scared the bajeezus outa me!

Freddy scared the shit outta me when I was a child too. I remember vaguely my dad putting one of his movies on when I was about 4. My mum said I couldn't sleep for weeks. I also remember seeing a bit cardboard cut out of him in a video shop and I couldn't go in there until it was gone. Scared the bajeezus outa me!
    Sad thing is...I don't think I was that young.....:o :D