Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Flat feet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have the fairly common problem that my feet are flat. They have no arch, which means they can't suitably support my body, causing immense pain if I'm walking about too much. It also means I'll probably be crippled at a fairly young age.

Simple question.... is it a good idea to get an insole for my shoes which creates an artificial arch. I've always heard that it is, and hope to be getting one soon, but I heard one person say recently that it does more harm than good.... anyone know?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think its a good idea to get insoles. My grandma has this problem brought on at an early age from wearing such high heeled shoes when she was young. She now has insoles in all of her shoes as she is on her feet all day everyday working. It helps her alot. I dont think they can do more harm than good, why would they? There made for the simple reason that they are alot more comfortable for people with this problem. I think its definately worth getting them if you are in so much pain when walking a long time
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know the specific answer to your question, but i'll help as best as i can. I've recently been told that i probably have rheumatoid arthritis, and it's affecting my feet, and because of this i was referred to an appliance clinic, to get some shoe supports fitted. The woman basically explained that the supports correct what your foot isn't naturally doing, to take the pressure off, and reduce the pain. So i guess that supports would work for you, since it's basically the same principle. Good luck! ;)