Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reading List

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well it's summer, time to lie in the garden and turn red. So here is a book thread for people who like to read- please state title of recommendation, a bit about what it's about etc. Please, I really need to be recommended some books! I read 1 every couple of days. To start off I will do some.

**Frank Skinner- Frank Skinner **

Believe it or not but this is his autobiography (or should that be biography?-never sure). It's very funny, some really graphic bits like when he describes sleeping with this old prostitute. It was a really good read, (although I skimmed a lot of the football bits), AND I found out that Frank Skinner got married in the church up my road.

**Falling Leaves- Adeline Yeh Mah **

Another autobiography about a Chinese woman who was treated badly as a child, went on to emigrate to America and become a doctor. It also teaches a lot about Chinese history. A good read.

Please join in! I need to read!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Wild Swans.. I've forgotten the author.

Autobiographical (sort of) account of three women's lives, grandmother, mother and daughter, in China, pre, during and present Revolution. Amazing read.

Any of the John Grisham books keep me hooked, to be fair. The Firm is good, Pelican is nice, others are also great.

Tom Clancy is trashy and biased, but still a worthy way to pass time. :) Made films (lousy versions) of... Patriot Games, Clear & Present Danger and the Hunt for Red October. In all of which, I'm sorry to say, the books were *way* better.

Um.

Classics.

I like Father Brown, which is GK Chesterton, I like the Holmes mysteries, which are Conan Doyle.

You could always try War & Peace if you're really bored....
  • Options
    I know that I have told about this book a zillion times before, but it is my favourite, and I really do think that almost everyone will be able to relate to it somehow.

Name of book: "Demian"
    Author: "Hermann Hesse"

Hermann Hesse published the book with the pseudonym Emil Sinclair (lead character in book), and made it out to be an autobiography after having some personal and pshycological downs. He used the pseudonym as he didn't want his own name to make people judge, but he wanted them to judge it by the quality. Got accepted rather well...

Emil Sinclair is this boy who comes from a good home, and tells about growing up. The temptations which he faces, the point of no return, influences...

I adore this book. Really powerful if you think and analyse a bit. A book which you can read a 120 times, and still find something new to think about.
    No book, I have read so far, has left me with the same impression.

At the moment I am trying to read "Pandora" by Anne Rice, but I am having troubles getting through the first chapter... Though I think I will hang on, as the description in the back seems quite interesting.
  • Options
    The Secret History by... Donna. :confused: Donna Tarte I think.

An excellent book if ya want something deep and serious. A little history; Her debut novel, it took her 7 years to write, and receieved more in advance payments than any other book. Very enjoyable... it sucks you in.

And if you want something lighter, the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett is always good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way
    And if you want something lighter, the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett is always good.
    Bah, you beat me to it :p I love 'em! Read Small Gods, its great, and pretty much stands on its own, unlike a few of the others which run in groups.

In the same vein, try some Robert Rankin, only read one of his, but he comes highly recomended.

And I'm currently reading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett (seeing a pattern yet? :D ) and Neil Gaiman, which is basically about the end of the world. Haven't got very far in to it yet, but it has potential.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lorna

Bah, you beat me to it :p I love 'em! Read Small Gods, its great, and pretty much stands on its own, unlike a few of the others which run in groups.

In the same vein, try some Robert Rankin, only read one of his, but he comes highly recomended.

And I'm currently reading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett (seeing a pattern yet? :D ) and Neil Gaiman, which is basically about the end of the world. Haven't got very far in to it yet, but it has potential.
    Good Omens is great!
    I was reading it and laughing like crazy and all my family was about to call the men in white coats! :D
    Hilarious!
  • Options
    Wild Sawns is by Jung Chang and is a terrific book. It tells of a life completely different from what we know...
    Not my usual stuff but definitely worth reading.
    I'm more into SF and Fantasy but I guess you're not on the same wavelength. Not many people I know are... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Im a huge fan of Thomas Harris so I'd recommend "Red Dragon". Its the book that comes before "SIlence of the Lambs."

It introduces Hannibal Lector while telling the gruesome story of the troubled cannibal Francis Dolarhyde. Im reading it for bout the 10th time, its really good and really scary. I was reading it out the back garden yesterday and I had to come back inside because I got so freaked out!

I'll qoute the back cover for you, k "Something out of the ordinary for strong nerves and stomachs, an intricately crafted thriller"

My sister is a HUGE fan of horror books and films. She was reading the autobiography of Pee Wee Gaskins, the bloke who killed loads of people in America. She said it was so good! Apparently it was banned from many country's for ages. He tells his reasons for killing them and never once says that he's sorry or feels guilty.
    Anyway thats bout it.
    Now all I need is some good weather so I can sit out in the sun, its like the middle of winter here. Yesterday was first day without rain in ages!
    Anyway happy reading peeps :)
  • Options
    Nick Hornby is god in my eyes at the mo :D

About a Boy is brilliant (it's even better than the film), High Fidelity is great and I've got How to Be Good to read too.
  • Options
    I just finished reading "Twelve Bar Blues" - by Patrick Neate, it is a fantastic story which tells about the life of Fortis "Lick" Holden a young jazz musician living in New Orleans and searching for his sister (who ain't no blood relation). The book also has chapters about the chief of an African tribe and his zakulu (or witchdoctor) Musa. Both these stories are brought together by that of Sylvia, an English prostitute, and Jim, who are together searching for Sylvia's past.

It's a great read, one of those nonputdownables but it's more about people than action, so if that's not your bag then pass it by. :)

If you're looking for an action packed book try "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night" - by Christopher Brookmyre.

To Quote the blurb - One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night brings Christopher Brookmyre's distinctive, heart-warming style to the touching story of what unfolds when the former pupils of an ordinary Glasgow high school are reunited after fifteen long years; reminiscence, reconciliation, old secrets, rekindled passions, joy, laughter, hijackers, vengeance, machine-guns, rocket-launchers ... that sort of thing. :D

Expect a fair dose of expletives and a sizable burst of gore, but the quips come thick and fast and it is so funny. :)
  • Options
    "One finer day..." is pretty good, but has the same problem as other books by the same auther (I forget the name) in that the ending just kind of happens, it doesn't have a winding down.

"good omens" is excelent, and i'd say the plot has more in comman with N Gaimans work than pratchetts, although pratchett is a better known auter, so it is kind of natural that people call him the auther. If you like the story in it (or the story in K. smiths dogma) try reading The Sandman series. I got the set a while ago (one by one) and found them highly enjoyable.

I think everybody should read the five books in the increasingly inaccuratly named Hitch-hikers Guide to the galaxy Trilogy . I've read these more times than i can count, my record being all 5 in less than 24 hours while at uni.
    I really cannot remember the circumstances under which that happend, although the combining force's of Jolt Cola and a bag of skunk were prolly factors.

The best read I can recomend though, is Neil Stephensons "The Cryptonomican" . He has a style (over all his books) that tell you a large amount of background. Not just of the characters, but of the situations, historys, geography, mechanics and theory behind the ideas he use's. I know more about Biochemistry and Ecology from his book "Zodiac" than i ever learnt on high school science. Oh, and he research's himself.
    Also, his book "SnowCrash" is has become the defining Cyberpunk fiction ahead of Neuromancer (W Gibson).

Any-one else read and N Stephenson?
  • Options
    For those with a strong constitution, De Sade's writing is entertaining. Sick. But entertaining.

Anne Rice's books are good (with the exception of The Violin)

And for comedy, anything by Tom Holt always makes me giggle, especially Snow White and the Seven Samurai :D:D:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    "One finer day..." is pretty good, but has the same problem as other books by the same auther (I forget the name) in that the ending just kind of happens, it doesn't have a winding down.

That's the good thing about them, the books leave you still with a buzz of excitement.