Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Awareness on social media apps

Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,089 Wise Owl
Potential TW

Warning: This is purely to promote awareness to people about social media and isnt ment to come across as in an attack full way

Social media apps are all in well in good but some are so toxic and have no safety regulations or nothing. These apps need monitoring properly....

Theres a big network for mental health support and lots of videos giving support for people with various mental health issues and majority of it is all helpful for some and people share there personal experiance but then theres that area where people dont care about mental health at all and don't give out helpful advice or nothing which can cost lives which i am not saying that its anyone's fault that what they post but people should use there initiative.

People arnt responsible for people actions but they also shouldn't be posting method and unhelpful advice. It's not appropriate especially when some people are that desperate. We are all ment to work together and help eachother through stuff. Lots of places are ment to be a community but I know lots of people are not about that stuff.

I have a very depressed for you page on an app and so I was scrolling through it and I came across a certain video promoting harmful acts and it was deliberate because at the top of the video it says "Do not try these when suicidal" so obviously because it has that keyword its gonna pop up in that section. It's things like that, that are disgusting and not needed.
✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨

Comments

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @River, you're seen and heard. It sounds like you came across some distressing material on social media, and I'm sorry to hear that you came across that.

Seeing that kind of content can be a really difficult watch at best, and at worst can be harmful to vulnerable people, and unfortunately some social media algorithms will push that out to users even when it's against their own terms of service. It's one thing for them to be in spaces that people can access, but quite another for them to be pushed to people in this way.

Thank you for sharing your experience about this, it's a really important topic for people to be aware of!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.