Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My dad and brother, exercising, eating healthy, autism and feeling suicidal

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 189 Helping Hand

Hello.

I have been in a low mood. I have been considering the restrictions to exercising, such as not having any space and having to pay if I want a personal trainer or to join an exercise class. During dinner, I had to mask my feelings because my dad and brother usually made hurtful comments to criticise my feelings. My dad and brother were faulting people and my mum for not exercising. My dad was also saying not everyone can exercise and was whispering to my brother, comparing it to my inability to punch, which got on top of my feelings. His comment brought up a memory of when he made hurtful comments, and my mum suddenly was on his side, telling me to forget about it when she initially supported me. I feel pressured to quickly eat healthy and exercise, even though my autism makes me process and understand information differently. So, my understanding of exercising and eating healthy will be different. I have felt that people think I want to play the autism card when I want people to understand my autism. My brother and dad have a lack of understanding of my autism. I have been feeling that it is planned for me to be driven to suicide. I want to move out and get my place as soon as possible.

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 412 Listening Ear
    @Creativeboy23 This sounds really difficult, joining an exercise class sounds like a good idea. Are you in education? Some schools/colleges/universities have fitness areas and classes. I think that everyone can exercise, it just looks different for everyone depending on their ability/health/preferences etc. It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of pressure from your family, have you got a support network such as friends that you could talk this over with?

It must be hard when your family doesn't understand the implications of your condition, especially something as complex as autism.

Is exercising something you would like to do, or is more due to the expectation from your family? Exercising and healthy eating is good in moderation, but it can be difficult to keep up with, so you don't need to do anything overly ambitious. It could just be going on a 15 minute walk every day and then see how you get on from there.

I hope things get better for you <3

It's easier said than done but I would try your best to ignore your family when they treat you like that
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Hello @lunarcat522.

No. I am a job seeker.

I have been dealing with a lot of pressure from my family. It has been challenging.

Yes, but I struggle to open up to them about my feelings.

It is hard when my dad and brother do not understand. The neurotypical expectations can place a lot of pressure on me to change my autism.

A mixture of both. I want to do it because I feel unhealthy that I am not, but at the same time, I feel pressured when exercising is constantly mentioned. I agree. I used to work out at home, but I lost the motivation to do it.

I have been walking. I will sometimes walk to places rather than take public transport.

I hope so, too, and I will try.

Thanks for your support. <3

• Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 155 Helping Hand
    Hello @Creativeboy23

I'm so sorry that your family is taking a toll on your self-esteem. I know it can be hard to find motivation to do something when the decision seems forced and coming from someone else. It's amazing though that you have kept up exercising in some way by walking. It's also great that you're opening up about your experiences in the discussion boards. Is there any particular issue you think you want to focus on or you want help with? We're here to offer support and signpost you to any resource you might need
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Hello @genderless_fungi.

That is true. At least I have been walking. I never used to walk much. So, it is an achievement that I walk more.

I know. I have come a long way in developing the ability to articulate my feelings.

No. There is not anything I want to focus on and need help with. However, thanks for the offer.

I appreciate your support.

• Options
    JimetteJimette Posts: 85 Budding Regular
    @Creativeboy23 I won't tolerate what your family did to you! What motherf***ers!

Just ignore the comments and tell them about how you feel. If they still keep up with this, I suggest reporting it to the police, because what your dad and bro are doing is F***ING ABUSE. I don't want you to get hurt :scream:
    Wild Hearts Never Die~ >:3
  • Options

Hello @Jimette.

I will try to ignore the comments, and it is hard to tell them as they usually dismiss my feelings.

Thanks for your help.