Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

kind of a rant

PetiteQuarkPetiteQuark Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
(im not exactly sure where to put this I'm new here)
so I'm in year 11, and I have like 2 weeks until my GCSEs, and I'm constantly reminded of that.
I get stressed easily, I have anxiety (I had it for a long time but even then i dont have good coping mechanisms) im mostly worried about my maths gcses, im in foundation maths, so the highest i could ever get is a 5, i couldn't do the higher paper since it's way too late now, but im doing the higher paper for science, so i could get above a grade 5 in that, which is good because i want to do physics and chemistry for alevels, but im not sure if the sixth form i want to go would let me in for the course i want to do, even though they accepted me. if im not accepted into the course i want to do, then i have no idea what i should do next, i can't do a btec , because 1) my parents don't want me to 2) i really want to do a degree in physics when im older and for that i have to do alevels 3) everyone is pushing me to do a btec/t level in computer science, since i do computer science for gcse even though im beginning to dislike it alot now.
So I don't even know if I'll even get to do alevels if i get below a 6 in maths, but get like a, 7 in physics or chemistry or biology (i do triple science.)
also I feel so stupid because there are people so much smarter than me, some of my friends, they do things i could never do, they're so much better than me in pretty much everything, they tell me that im good at physics and french but still they're so much better than me at those things.
also i know this is a bit unrelated,but im getting really worried about other thing, like, (this sounds a bit dumb but...) I'm worried about AI and chatgpt, i never really used it nor do i want to, but people are saying it could replace jobs, write long paragraphs, replace artists and even do research, etc, to me this sounds scary!
I'd much rather appreciate the art done by actual artists and read books and articles written by actual people rather than a bunch of algorithms, and, I really want to be a physicist when i grow older, right now im trying my best in maths and science so I could just be able to do alevel physics, but, when i grow older, i don't know if i'll be able be a physicist because AI is doing all the research, that makes me so worried, i don't like rapid changes either, and everytime i hear about chatgpt or chatbots i get worried (that's also sort of one of the reasons why im beginning to dread computer science now)

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    saffjxdesaffjxde Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    @PetiteQuark
    Hi there.... firstly, sending a big hug because that sounds super stressful. Secondly, I love the name and if that's a play of quantum physics terms then even better.

I'd say mainly, try not to let future decisions take hold of your life now. It is definitely scary to think about, but you do have your whole life ahead of you and nothing is ever set in stone. As you have said, some of your GCSEs you're not liking now, and it's okay to change your mind now or in a year's time or even ten years time. It sounds like you're really passionate about physics and that's amazing to have something to focus on. What sort of physics do you enjoy? There's always places in academia for research scientists, physicists etc.

In terms of the AI and research, it's true that AI is becoming increasingly "intelligent" and detecting things or learning things at an alarming rate. But one thing that I think people overlook is that AI is essentially human-made. Scientists, robotics experts, engineers, computer programmers, so many people are involved in the development of AI and tools like chatgpt.

It's hard to make decisions when it feels like there's a lot of pressure, but you should know that you're definitely not alone in that feeling. Choosing the right A levels doesn't necessarily guarantee the perfect degree, and likewise choosing other A levels doesn't mean you can't ever get to where you'd like to be. Transferrable skills and personal traits are also still important, things like resilience, perseverance and determination are highly desirable. And from what you've been saying, you're definitely not stupid. You'll be living half a life if you try to meet everyone else's expectations and standards, constantly comparing yourself instead of living in the moment and it'll be hard to feel content. But the effort and the passion you have for maths and physics speaks volumes and being able to do higher tier in triple science definitely does not show that you're stupid. There will undoubtably be someone who is going to be better at X, Y or Z than you, but that's okay, as long as you're doing what you enjoy and you're able to see all the good things that you are capable of.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. You've got this... just try not to burn yourself out because you also deserve to take care of yourself as well, particularly when you feel overly anxious or stressed. Incorporating some self care or distractions into each day may help to keep some of the really strong thoughts at bay and you can make it through the exam season. Good luck with everything. Lots of hugs!!
    nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as real strength - st francis de sales
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hey @PetiteQuark
    It's completely normal to feel stressed and anxious about upcoming exams, especially ones as important as GCSEs. It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to do well, but it's important to remember that your worth isn't determined by your grades. You are more than just your academic achievements. You will improve gradually because you put a lot of efforts.

As for your concerns about your future career and AI, it's understandable to feel worried about the potential impact of technology on certain industries. However, AI is still in its early stages and there will always be a need for human creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. For example, as a physicist, you'll be using these skills to conduct experiments, analyze data, and develop new theories. While AI may be able to assist with some tasks, it can't replace the unique perspective and insight that a human brings to the table.

Try to focus on the present and what you can do right now to prepare for your exams and future career. It's okay to have concerns, but don't let them consume you or prevent you from pursuing your passions. Remember that you are capable and talented in your own way, and it's important to celebrate your own accomplishments and progress. Good luck with your exam!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    emiip98emiip98 Moderator Posts: 132 The Mix Convert
    Hey @PetiteQuark !

Exam time can be really stressful and it can make you feel anxious and there is a lot of pressure to do well, it seems like you have put a lot of this on yourself but please remember that that how you perform in these exams does not determine who you are and what you are capable, everyone has different learning styles and there isn't just one path to getting to where you want to be :) Ensure that you are making future choices that make you happy and that you enjoy doing and live your life for you own happiness <3

With the AI stuff as Terry has stated it is in early stages, I don't know a lot about this but I feel that the purpose of this in the future will be to assist us and help make things easier but I think those types of roles you are concerned about will always need the human touch :) Sometimes its more helpful to focus on the things that you can control <3

Good luck with your exams you will smash them and you're still amazing no matter what the outcome is :)

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.