Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crime capitol of the world...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to take jobs which are given to you. If you fail at this, you lose the allowance.

Obviously there are going to be some people who abuse that system, I never suggested it is perfect, but as you said... every system is abusable. At least this one gives people who are looking for a job something to live off while they do.
  • Options
    Mindless, you should probably do some reading on job seekers allowance before talking about it..

The thing is a total farce. When I left school, i decided to bum around for a bit and signed up for job seekers allowance.

You get a booklet which you have to fill up with the jobs youve chosen to apply for. My book had 7-10 applications filled in every week. Take a guess at how many jobs i actually applied for? They never check, ever. You have to take this booklet down to the jobcentre once every two weeks and have them sign the book for you. They ask a couple of bullshit questions which you answer with a lie, they sign your book and you go pick up your cash from the post office.

If you dont want to work, you dont work. You would not believe some of the stories i heard in that place. I would say that maybe 30% of the people that frequented that place did so in order to actually try and get a job. They rest of us were just there for money and didnt bother making any effort whatsoever to get a job.

I was on job seekers allowance for 3 months. I didnt apply for a single job, i didnt attend a single interview....but i still got my £40 a week. I then realised what kind of person I was for doing this kind of thing, stopped and got a job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Mindless, you should probably do some reading on job seekers allowance before talking about it..

The thing is a total farce. When I left school, i decided to bum around for a bit and signed up for job seekers allowance.

Thank you.