Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Critical thinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have already chosen the courses I would like to do for A and A/S level, but the college I am going to want me to do critical thinking. I would do this, but apart from thinking critically, I don't really know what it is aboutor anything. Does anybody know, and can tell me what it is? Thanks.

K.H.S.S:)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would imagine that critical thinking means analytical skills, the kind of thing you have to do in English, History or RS essays for example. Not taking things at face value and accepting them, but looking at them in depth and deciding if you agree or not etc.

What subjects are you doing?
    I'm doing: English Language, History, Psychology and Photography. Tonight I'm goign to the college open evening thing, so I should be able to find out there. thanks though.
    What subjects are you doing/have done?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm yep your best bet would be to find out more tonight ... and then come back and tell us ;)
    Critical thinking is a cop out. thats what my dad says.
    It wasn't very explanatory even in the booklet! I'm not going to do it!
    I did History, French and German at A-Level and now have just finished doing my second year of History with German at Bristol.

It's probably just as well you didn't choose that critical thinking thing - at first I thought it was a skill they wanted you to have, not a course they were trying to sell you! It sounds very wishy-washy.
    From what I understand Criticial Thinking is bascially a sort of philosophy skills but without the philosophy and using more contemporary things to think critically about rather than the theories of some long dead philosopher.

At my college its only done as a short course AS Level (i.e. 2 Lessons a week instead of the usual 4 for an AS) so I suppose on that ground it might be a bit of a cop-out subject.

So basically its an analysis of contemporary stuff course, which hopefully is good for developing the skills, but possibly not at the moment a very respected course by unis etc.