Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do we still need the COVID-19 forum?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,287 Part of The Furniture
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Just a quick vibe check. It's been a while since the COVID-19 forum was created and times have changed a lot since then. There's a lot of talk about the virus being a permanent part of our lives now and it's obviously not going away any time soon, so wanted to see what you thought. :)

Other thoughts welcome!

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Do we still need the COVID-19 forum? 19 votes

Yes, I think it should stay
21% 4 votes
It should stay for now, but we might not need it for much longer
31% 6 votes
No, I don't think we need it anymore
47% 9 votes
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I think this poll is a fab idea, Mike!! Especially because when terrible situations are 'over' sometimes we do simply want to forget them and seeing a forum pop up every day might not help people with that! Equally, I wonder if there is still a place for these types of global health concerns because I know we have health and wellbeing, which is fab, but is largely used for intra- and interpersonal experiences of health. I feel that it may be useful for us to have maybe a simple thread about global health issues 1) to learn 2) to maintain awareness of issues that continue to affect more vulnerable members of the population. Anyone who disagrees feel free to let me know <3 xxx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,287 Part of The Furniture
    Makes total sense @AislingDM. :) Can hear the need to discuss that stuff, and there will always be a place for those conversations to happen, with or without the COVID forum. I guess my thinking with the poll is more around whether a dedicated area is still needed.

Do you think those threads could still sit within Health & Wellbeing? Or potentially Anything Goes if it's more for general discussion than for support?

Also (not that my permission is needed!) would be super happy if someone wanted to create a thread on global health stuff or even world events if people were keen. :)
  • OwlOwl Posts: 109 The Mix Convert
    the way things are going, there could be a "once in a lifetime crisis" section in general hahaha
    Owl wrote: »
    the way things are going, there could be a "once in a lifetime crisis" section in general hahaha
    Now there's an idea. 🤔
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Mike wrote: »
    Now there's an idea. 🤔

That's actually not a bad idea. Especially with the situation going on in Ukraine as well.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    I feel like we don't really need a forum dedicated to the coronavirus pandemic but I agree that we should have the current threads in a different forum so people can still give and receive support but they don't need to see a forum that is just fully about the coronavirus pandemic.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    That makes sense @Dancer, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    The prevailing opinion here seems to be that we don't need the existing COVID-19 forum any more, so we'll probably shelve it soon unless there are any big new developments. :)

If you disagree, make sure you get your vote in!
    I really like that idea of lifetime crisis, I think there is so much happening that affects the entire globe, it would be cool if people wanted to talk about it, but of course you're right @Mike ? maybe that could just fit in the general politics section?
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    I agree with AislingDM and Owl honestly, there should be an area for global crisis. There could be future events like COVID-19 that affects things, and people might wish to speak what's on their minds about it.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    we do need this forum coz theres new strains and with more servere symptoms, and where to find out wat struggles there r n if ppl no how to deal with how to deal with the little sh*t. covid's not vanishing soon
    Crazy mad insane
    it's looks like this page got used as much for covid measures and rules and stuff than covid itself, and now there's no measures and covid is something we live with that we'll probably just get boosted against now and again like flu
    a cost of living page might be a good idea if it's something people want and it would help?? that isn't something we'll get a vaccine for soon, and the new spike in october is supposed to be really bad
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,912 Community Veteran
    edited August 2022
    I feel like it should still be around eventhough the cornavirus has started to slow down a bit. I still feel like people will be affected by it in different ways. It might not be around as much now, but cornavirus is still around is some areas and there are some strains of it atm. I also agree with what @Owl said about having a page on living costs atm and the increase of the cost of living as this will affect many people.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • NeonBlueThunder1NeonBlueThunder1 Posts: 245 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    a cost of living page might be a good idea if it's something people want and it would help?? that isn't something we'll get a vaccine for soon, and the new spike in october is supposed to be really bad

Good idea @Owl , that might be really helpful to have, as it's been revealed on the news that energy bills are supposed to go up by an insane amount. :+1: It's honestly frightening how everyone is supposed to manage with sky high bills, when a lot of people maybe can't. :fearful:
    Love this idea @Owl , I think COL is deeply affecting so many people and any tips and advice, and even just a listening ear for this would be brilliant!! It's so thoughtful of you to think about the impact of this. Plus, you're so right, the COL going up will have so many knock-on effects, including for mental health and supporting each other in any way that we can is surely a good thing <3
  • AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    The Covid 19 pandemic is still around and looks like it will still be around for a very long time to come. So yes we do still need this forum. I had covid last October. But luckily it was very mild and only lasted for about 8 days in total. I was very tired with aches and pains but otherwise not that bad.