Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Were my college being reasonable?

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,208 Wise Owl
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Last year I didn't drive so I got lifts from famliy members but staff said I why am i getting lifts like lecturing me kind of and they said i should get a bus to college to be more independent. It pissed me off. They did it a few times to. We're they reasonable to say that?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    It's difficult for me to comment @FordRanger since I don't really know your college staff or how they generally treat you, I can understand them wanting to support independence in their students especially as you're reaching adulthood. That being said your transport is your own business and if your family members are happy to give you lifts that's really all there is to it, after all carpooling is still a thing regardless of how old you get. :) I hope this whole situation hasn't upset you too badly but if you ever need to vent and get things off your chest the boards is great for it!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Getting the bus or learning to drive would help to become more independent, but then if you get lifts and the people driving you are fine with it, there's no problem with that. But more importantly, whatever their opinion, I think it's strange that they keep bringing this up to you. It's none of their business to be honest, I wouldn't pay attention to it!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    As long as you are getting to college on time and the people giving you lifts are okay with it, I don't really understand what the issue is. Some people might genuinely struggle to be able to use public transport so I don't think that the college staff should be judging anyone for how they get to college. Obviously if it is something that is making you late or causes a hazard then yes it is reasonable and expected for the staff to say something.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,208 Wise Owl
    Dancer wrote: »
    As long as you are getting to college on time and the people giving you lifts are okay with it, I don't really understand what the issue is. Some people might genuinely struggle to be able to use public transport so I don't think that the college staff should be judging anyone for how they get to college. Obviously if it is something that is making you late or causes a hazard then yes it is reasonable and expected for the staff to say something.

Yh