Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Struggling with alcoholic cravings

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here we go.

I haven't drunk alcohol in a few months now. When I do, it's an occasional setting (celebrations, parties, etc). However, over the last few weeks, I've been feeling severely low and I feel this sudden urge to drink alcohol for that 'good feeling' to come back.

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    Good morning @lovemimoon
    Congratulations on your sobriety over the last few months, and I'm sorry if your is considerably down nowadays.
    It is essential to note down the cons of the 'good feeling' that you mentioned in the post. Try to analyse the situation evaluating the pro and cons. Feel free to share your thoughts in this post. We can discuss them together.

A big hug,
    Cosmo.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    edited November 2021
    I think it’s understandable to want that good feeling when you’ve been feeling so low. I guess I’ve learnt over the past couple of years that, while the buzz of that first drink or 2 is fun, anymore than that has a very good chance of actually making me feel worse. This is just personal experience, but drinking large amounts can actually make you feel lower. I try to remember that and I definitely drink far less than I used to in the first lockdown. If you’re struggling it can take willpower but I keep alcohol for a bit of fun.

I suppose it’s about finding other ways to cope that won’t make you feel worse in the long run. Do you find anything at all helps you, no matter how small?

I’m sorry you’re struggling so much, sending massive hugs <3
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @lovemimoon Hello lovely!

We are always here for you, wherever you feel best to reach out for support will always be the right place. I just wanted to point out that, that can be quite a normal reaction when we're feeling low. Our brains are likely to sift through and think of things that made us happy, and unfortunately, it's often the more negative coping mechanisms that they cling to when we're in a negative headspace.

I think it's incredible that you're reaching out and that you have so much awareness for where your brain goes to, as that can be so difficult to figure out in difficult times.

Is there anything positive you enjoy doing that helps you feel happy? I.e. cross stitching, reading, drawing, painting etc. It may be helpful to pair these feelings with more positive coping strategies for the future.

Sending you buckets of love right now, you're doing so so incredibly. I am honestly so in awe of your strength and ability to reach out when you need it! Celebrate all the victories because you are doing amazing <3
  • Options
    lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hi guys.

@Cosmo
    I spoke to my close friend about this and recounted the times that I've consumed alcohol. Realized there was a moment where it was increasing but thankfully, it didn't go any further. So I think the craving's to do with continuing that momentum.
    Thank you so much for your response.
    Hope you're doing well. <3

@independent_
    Thank you so much for sharing. <3
    It's comforting to know that you've experienced something similar, and I hope you're doing well.
    I've been feeling like this for weeks now and I've reached the stage where I'm feeling really self-destructive.

@Brookee
    Thank you so much for your response.
    There are things I enjoy, and everyone's responses have encouraged me to do just that. Thank you, once again.
    Sorry if this is weird but I've seen your responses to other threads and it's really encouraging. <3

In terms of coping methods, I normally take a hot bath when I'm feeling incredibly low but that's been put on hold. The bathroom's getting redone. I've watched a couple of videos today so that's been helpful. Thank you for your responses, everyone. <3

Just craving alcohol in a very low period has got me really anxious. In some settings, it's fine but I'm worried that it may lead to a downward spiral.
  • Options
    ApolloApollo Posts: 804 Part of The Mix Family
    One way to help with cravings is as soon as you feel them do something else that takes up your brain, like if you were to think about alcohol you could go on a bike ride or whatever else would use up your brain while the urge dies down, because urges like these do die down over short periods of time, also if you make the barrier to drinking higher you will lessen the chance of drinking. Like for example if you have alcohol in your room a craving just involves opening the bottle and drinking but if you don't you'd have to go to the shop, buy it, show ID. All this time will be time for the urge to die down and also make you less likely to go through with it as there's more time to consider what's going on.

Well done for sharing and hopefully this feeling doesn't last long. Everyone here appreciates you and you will always have this little corner of the internet to talk to.
    🎵 I feel so funny these days, I'd rather sleep than stay awake 🎵
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @lovemimoon Not weird at all!! Thank you so much! I really am always rooting for you! You are doing brilliantly honestly, I'm super proud of you <3