Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Upon reflection, what are your thoughts/feelings about the past year and a half?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Now that we have been in a pandemic for roughly one year and 8 months (my math might be off here), I am wondering what everyone's reflective thoughts are on this time period. You can reflect/talk about anything, whether it's positive things you learned to do, or your opinions on the government, or your thoughts for the future. Anything goes, just wanted to see how people are doing given that this has been a really arduous and taxing time for everyone across the globe <3
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    I think it's been a very difficult period of time. The benefits definitely were how the lockdown gave some people time to start a new entrepreneurial business and have time to themselves, which helped for my therapy a lot. I had a lot of thinking time to sort out some of the problems that I never even noticed until the time of the lockdown XD

But I think it's been really tough for employment, health and daily life...going outside feels kind of taxing sometimes. And relationships I feel have changed a lot too! It's been a whirlwind.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by JustV on
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    My most commonly used phrase for this time is "hokey cokey". There have been ups and downs (and I think we are still there, unfortunately!). However, it has made me determined as ever :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Also, the importance of loved ones! <3
  • Options
    Thank you so very much everyone for such honest, sincere and vulnerable replies, I know, as many have said, like it's crazy that this timeframe has gone on for so long and I know there have been so many variables which have impacted how we have each navigated each stage of the last year and a half, so, honestly I am grateful to you and proud of you all for explaining in such insightful ways how you have felt <3

@lovemimoon I simply am beyond overjoyed to hear that The Mix was something beautiful that you gained over this period, and I want you to know that part of why this place is so warm and loving is because you are right there supporting literally everyone who posts. You truly have such a gift of compassion that you should feel immensely proud of <3

@independent_ I'm glad you like the question!! I just thought it's been such a while, maybe people want a place to vent/share or say anything (shoutout to John Cusack). I abso love that you were able to get the push to get support, because you truly deserve it and I know it sucks that a global pandemic was the background to this support, but I am glad there are some silver linings =)

@La_La I couldn't agree more, it's been such a tumultuous time and as you say, beyond inter- and intrapersonal relationships, we also have to think about the wider impacts of this pandemic on things like unemployment. It really shows how caring you are that you are thinking of this even in your response here x I am grateful for your happy moments and wish you more and more.

@zaynab_5 It's extremely interesting the way you've put this, and the way you've experienced each lockdown in such different ways. Thank you for sharing it with us, I'm sure reflecting in this way on some of the more difficult times was not fun, but I am grateful anyway x I completely get what you mean, like the changes that we have all gone through have been immense, and particularly for you, as someone who entered the pandemic about to do GCSEs and now (hopefully) leaving the pandemic on your A-Levels. I know there are still many moments of difficult and challenges that you are facing, especially in terms of not being allowed out, and so I am really happy that you are able to see some of the joy whilst also feeling valid in the negative emotions too! Fingers crossed things can only get better from here!! :)

@Laura_tigger82 1000% it can't quite be put into words how strange this time has been for us all, and yet I love that little phrase :) I love you ending on such a positive note of the importance of friends and family though, I think you're right like we really have had to reevaluate priorities in this pandemic <3
  • Options
    Eleasha27Eleasha27 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    It has definitely been a challenging year for everyone but it has made me evaluate the things and people which are truly important to me and add something positive to my life. It has also made me appreciate the NHS more than ever, and made me want to work in mental health services even more, as so many people have been struggling during this time. Hope everyone is doing okay <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    I have a lot of thoughts on this, but I'll keep it to the key ones. It's complicated - on the one hand, the first lockdown came at a time where it actually did me a huge favour. And as other said, it definitely forced many of us to reevaluate what we found important, and I think reflection is a very useful exercise!

Having said that, many of us felt that our social relations became really strained, especially if you live far away from one another. Several friends in relationships all broke up due to it, countless friend groups fell away, and good friendships dissolved without any way to meet up. Lots of people feel lonely especially after the forced isolation, and I wonder what the scarring effect of that will be going forwards x
  • Options
    I love this answer @Eleasha27 because as you say there have been such hugely contrasting emotional responses to this horrid time, like on the one time, there has been such awful impacts on people's mental health but equally it has brought others together and allowed us to realise that we should focus on giving love to our friends. <3

I am so there with you @Azziman , because ultimately we cannot know how this will impact everyone in the long term. We might feel happiness for being able to see friends and family again at first but we don't know how we are going to feel in a year or ten from now. It's quite scary to be perfectly honest. I've also thought that it's made me reevaluate who I feel is sincerely there for me and in some ways my conclusions have left me feeling sadder, but maybe this is more a reflection on me, who's to say, I guess!