Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I find it very difficult to do the transcriptions (TW: suicidal feelings)

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I find it very difficult to do the transcriptions. I have interviewed people but it is frustrating because I find it really stressful to do the transcriptions. I cannot concentrate on it at all because of the background noises in the recording and the noises that my computer is making. I feel extremely anxious. I just want to die.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    Typing up the transcriptions gives you the disillusion that you have written so many essays but in real life you have just written thousands of words that do not consist of your word count at all.
    Am I pathetic because I could only feel like I am having some kind of human interactions when I am doing transcripts? I am incompetent and I am so lonely.
    I am stressed out honestly I just want to cry. I am not going to finish the transcripts and 7000 words by tomorrow. My literature review is also a mess can't write an essay like this.
    I can't get myself food or drink. I don't want to move. My room is a mess.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Kate_20
    I understand your struggle, most of the time we think that we always need to be the best version of ourselves, but we are human and not robots. Try to get some time for you, try not to worry more that you need. Recharging batteries is the first step to be more productive.

Cosmo.
    @Cosmo My brain is totally on strike and the concepts start to jumble up :(
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    @Kate_20
    Ok, so you need to chill for a bit, breathe a little bit, and oxygen your body.
    You can do it.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Kate_20,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing so much difficulty with the transcription. As @Cosmo said, make sure you take lots of breathers. Chunk the 7000 words. I.E. 1,000 words an hour if it has to be by tomorrow or 1,000 words a day if you have a week. In terms of practical advice, does your university have a free version of NVivo? They have a transcription service inbuilt and the software is typically targeted towards students doing dissertation research/PhDs. Hopefully, it will help but if you want any more support, please just let us know :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Bless your heart @Kate_20 ! You must be beyond exhausted, writing out transcripts is literally so frustrating because it's so important but so much longer than you anticipate. I agree with @Laura_tigger82 's idea that chunking can make it easier, as can setting time limits, instead of word limits. So, 5 minutes of writing to 5 minutes of a break. You are not at all pathetic, I promise. Sometimes these tasks are actually the hardest, especially when they make us feel like we aren't good enough. Keep going <3<3<3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi all,

I hope you are all well. How are you finding the transcription now @Kate_20? On a similar note to @AislingDM, I had another thought. Have you tried Pomodoro apps? They can be useful too :)
    @Laura_tigger82 Yeah I tried but somehow I find it hard to keep track of it for some reason
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Kate_20 I am sorry but I completely understand! I just finished writing an essay and realised I forgot to add half of my footnotes so I had to reread all the pages and add in footnotes where I think they should be. Needless to say, it was a very stressful day. However, it is so important to take small breaks and make work manageable. As soon as you find a timetable that works for you, whether it be 10 minute breaks every 30 minutes or 30 minute breaks every 2 hours, you will be fine. Good luck!