Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

R;pple - suicide prevention browser extension

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
edited October 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
Came across this today and thought it was interesting. Here's some blurb:
Discretely intercepting harmful searches and providing signposting to 24/7, free mental health support at a time when you are most vulnerable.

R;pple is an interceptive tool designed to present a visual prompt when a person searches for harmful keywords or phrases relating to the topic of self-harm or suicide. These phrases include any words or terminology which have been identified as displaying potentially damaging online content.
So when you search something online linked to the topic of self-harm or suicide, R;pple displays crisis support signposts for you. You can find more info and their installation guides on their website.

Looks like it's mainly designed for parents, schools, and businesses, but anyone can install it.

Would any of y'all use this personally? Do you think this kind of thing should be in schools and workplaces?
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Mike,

I think this is a wonderful idea! I know how easy it must be to let searches spiral if they are not regulated. I want people to feel supported in this case and I hope the browser will provide this. I definitely think it should be used in schools and workplaces :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I think this is a great idea! You never know who might be searching and needs it