Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Moving In (advice?)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm moving into my new house next week. Has anyone got any tips or advice regarding stuff to take / sort out. Any advice re: electric (not gas, we're all electric!), telephone, insurance etc would be gratefully received!
Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Erm, thanks guys! :(
    LoL give us time :p

I don't have any experience in this area, but you may want to check out things like how many power ponys etc there are (always a problem for me with my computers, hifis etc) and remeber to say hello to the neighbours, you never know when they may come in handy.....
    What's a power pony?

Miss Bee, think about each room in turn. What will you need for the kitchen, the bedroom, etc. Light bulbs are always handy. Extension leads move power points from where they are to where they should be.

Cushions, throws, rugs, pictures, that sort of thing will help familiarise, make it less scary, and more homelike. More idea of what you're going in to might help!

DJP
    The number of the nearest take away, and lots of booze.
    PS Is the electric on a meter or a bill, find out and find out where the nearest shop is to buy electric and when it opens.
    Thanks!
    The electric is paid by bill.
    I'm moving into a house, just a plain house. Semi-detached 1950s house. It has three bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and lounge. I can't wait!
    Make sure you get cleaning stuff, and one of those air freshener things (like on the ad).
    if your all new to the house then a door stop might be a good idea at it allows people walking past just to pop in and talk rather than the daunting idea of having to knock so it also helps with making friends with your housemates
    Originally posted by saintlykarma
    if your all new to the house then a door stop might be a good idea at it allows people walking past just to pop in and talk rather than the daunting idea of having to knock so it also helps with making friends with your housemates

No offence, but I'm moving into a three bedroomed house, with two friends. Trust me, I really really don't want a door stop! I think I'm going to need a door LOCK!!

When I was in halls we weren't allowed to prop our doors open anyway... fire hazard!
    hey not a problem i didn't know what year you were in and i know when i first moved in to a house with total stranger in my first year (no room for me in halls ) taking door stops was one of the best pieces of advice i got. but i know what you mean about the door locks next year thankfully i have the attic so they have to climb an extra set of stairs to come and winge at me
    Splash out and buy a small fridge for your room, with a BIG lock on it. ;)
    Internet - what's the deal with that? Will you have to have an ISP, or is it Uni networked, or what?

What else...

Um. Telephone?
    Originally posted by DJP
    Internet - what's the deal with that? Will you have to have an ISP, or is it Uni networked, or what?

We're getting it included with the phonebill. It isn't uni networked cos it is private accomodation. However, I will have to fight with two other people in order to use the net! Damn.

I want to buy food of my own, because the other two are really picky eaters, and buy all brand name food, whereas I can make do with Asda food! But the other two want to split, but I'm not comfortable with that. Shall I just tell them no?
    Probably best telling them straight out from the start, because if you try sharing with them all year and end up getting the bad end of the deal, you could end up arguing about it. It may sound stupid now, but its best to avoid possible arguements in the future, even if you're really close mates!
    think the most important things you can do are

1) Sit down and discuss how bills will be paid, this has always been a flash point for me in shared houses, even amongst some very good freinds, if someone is going to collect of the other two then it can get messy and the phone bill is another, i suggest the land line is for internet only, use mobiles otherwise.

2) A rota for cleaning, very important, as sad as its sounds, its neccessary - things can get nasty as the kitchen grows things on old plates etc.....

3) All buy your own shopping, don't share that = disaster, in addition we had a kitty, everyone paid in a fiver a week for things like cleaning products, toilet rolls, milk - what ever was left went towards bills or drugs.

4) If some smoke and others don't sort out that before it creates tension, ban smoking in the kitchen I'd say

5) Make yourself fully aware of your rights as a tenant, dealing with landlords can get irritating

6) Things to take have all been covered above I reckon, batteries, light bulbs, blue tak, all kitchen stuff - plates, mugs, cutlery, pans etc......

7) Enjoy, for all that I've enjoyed every moment of living with people, be prepared to compromise and it'll be wicked - I know what i've put above sounds arsey, but i'm very passive about everything thrown at me, I've just been there and seen it all already and i know where problems come from :)
    Hello

our housing factsheets and funstuff, parties and creepy crawlies

oh and I should be doing another article or two on your question too, when i get a spare minute...

Susie :)