Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blood tests

Past UserPast User Recovering🥀LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Options
    KatKat Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    Hiya @zaynab_5
    I understand you are feeling anxious about the amount of blood tests you are having to take. As you have said, these blood tests are important because they help to keep a check on your health because of your medication.
    I haven't had personal experience of having frequent blood tests but I hope you can be reassured that the medical professionals have a great deal of experience and would never do anything to put you at risk. But because you are worried about this, I was wondering if you could talk to your doctor? Your doctor will be the best person to tell you if you need more blood tests and if they will affect you. Do you think you could have that conversation them? <3
  • Options
    Rose124Rose124 Posts: 69 Boards Initiate
    Hi @zaynab_5

I understand that you're worried about having multiple blood tests to monitor your health because you're on medication, but you really don't need to be :)

I completely agree with @Kat. The doctors that you will have and will be talking to are proffessionally trained individuals who have a lot of experience under their belt and will never put you in any danger or any risks to your health. In fact, the reason of your multiple blood tests will be to do with the complete opposite - making sure you're healthy and safe, and like you said to make sure that you're medication isn't affecting you're health :)

Also, i will admit that i am no trained individual in the world of blood tests, but im 99% positive that the amount of blood that you lose from blood tests is a very minuscule amount, so you're body will hardly notice the difference and you will feel tiny to no side effects from it all.

But also,like Kat said. if you would feel up to it, it would probably be a good idea to discuss how you are feeling about the blood tests and any concerns you may have with the doctors, so that they can help address your concerns and help you feel less anxious about the whole aspect.

Hope this helps at all.

Wishing you the best, sending lots of virtual hugs your way.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Hey :)

There’s nothing to worry about when having a blood test most people have between 5 and 10ml of blood taken which is around only 0.1% of the whole blood body volume - most often by the time a new blood tests comes round you’ve already replaced thsg blood lost .

I know the tubes seem fairly big but in reality they only hold around 1.5ml/2ml

Most likely when they do your blood tests they would look at anemia levels as that’s looked at when they do a Red blood cell count . so if for any reason the amount of blood taken did affect you they would be able to see :)

I hope that’s helped reassure you a little bit and don’t forget you can always speak to the GP or nurse if your worried
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey, I work in a pathology lab. There’s nothing to worry about, people in hospital have bloods done pretty much every day and it’s absolutely fine. Is it just your calcium and prolactin levels measured because if so then that should just be one 5ml tube so it’s only a very small amount of your blood that’s being taken and it’s important to measure these levels so they know your medication is right.

If you have any concerns though I’m sure your doctor or nurse will be able to talk to you about it xx
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    It’s good u were able to speak to him/her about it. Better out than in! It’s good to get it off ur chest and remove any niggling questions as otherwise it eats away at ur inner peace - well done for being proactive about it and asking