Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A little bit nervous

PhoebsflowersPhoebsflowers Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
Has anyone on here ever had an MRI scan before? I've got an appointment to have one at the hospital this evening and I'm feeling a bit worried about it. I could do with some friendly words of encouragement please =)

Comments

• KatKat Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    Hiya @Phoebsflowers
    I'm sorry to hear you're felling anxious about the MRI. I have had an MRI when I was younger, and I don't really remember too much about it- but that's a good thing I promise because it meant it wasn't an experience that really affected me. I know it can be scary leading up to a big event, but I'm sure the waiting around for it to happen will be worse than the MRI itself. I am sure you are going to be really brave and get through experience better than you think you will.
    Best of luck with the scan this evening, although you won't need it because you will do great! <3
  • Rose124Rose124 Posts: 69 Boards Initiate
    Hi @Phoebsflowers

I have never had an MRI scan before, so i unfortunately can't say what they're like, however i know that the waiting stage before something that you are anxious about can be really nervewracking, so three things that really help me during this stage is 1. Distracting myself - so this could be through reading a book, doing something that you enjoy or watching your favourite film. 2. Repeating positive self mantras, such as reminding myself that everything will be okay and that even if it isn't, i am strong enough to be able to handle it. 3. Relaxation exercises, and this could be anything such as breathing exercises or grounding yourself and bringing yourself back into the present moment.

Also, the doctors and nurses will be trained to help individuals who are feeling nervous about MRI scans, so if you let the doctor/nurse know before you're MRI scan when you get to the hospital that you are feeling nervous, i am sure that they will be definitely willing to sit down with you before the scan to help ease your nerves and address any concerns about the scan that you may have with them.

I hope this helps at all

You've got this!! I believe in you!!

Sending you lots of virtual hugs your way.

• Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PhoebsflowersPhoebsflowers Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Thank you for your kind messages everyone.

I let the doctor know before I went in the scanner that I was nervous and he assured me that everything would be okay and that if I needed to stop at any point I could say but I managed to get through it!
    It was quite noisy but they gave me some headphones with the radio to listen to so that helped me relax a bit more and I kept telling myself that I could do it 😃
  • RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    Well done for making it through :)
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Nice one @Phoebsflowers! Glad it went okay and good on you for going, even though it felt scary.

We used to have someone working at The Mix who was (probably) the most MRI'd person in the country. He'd done loads for research. They're usually smooth sailing once you're there. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @Phoebsflowers Hey I hope it went well❤️