Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to make friends.

oscar99oscar99 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
Dunno if this goes here.

I just feel really lost on how to meet new people my age. I have barely anny friends and im so alone.
Anny ideas?
Based in london.,

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @oscar99

I struggle with meeting new people too - the best way I've found to alleviate some of the difficulty and anxiety there, is to find people with common interests. If you can think of any activities you might enjoy outside, like sports or clubs, then give them a try and you'll have strong footing to strike up conversations with others there. It can be daunting to throw yourself in at the deep end of a new hobby/activity but it can really be worth it.

Just remember that most people don't find it easy to meet new people, so there could well be others there in a similar position to you. Just be good to yourself and try your best.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Heya @oscar99 ! makes total sense to put your post in here :) fantastic points from @Supernova there, getting into hobbies that you enjoy is a great way to connect. In terms of finding friends from the comfort of your home, you could try to connect with people online who enjoy the same TV shows, films, books, art, music etc... like on Twitter or TikTok just typing into the the search bar 'The Vampire Diaries' (for example) and could try to set up communication in that way :) Of course online safety is paramount so perhaps meeting people at clubs/hobbies might feel safer for you? I'd love to know what you think and if you want to talk some more please do as I'd love to support you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • PhoebsflowersPhoebsflowers Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Hi @oscar99

I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling to meet new people your age. I have had my own experiences of that in the past and it can be quite daunting at times, I think, to put yourself out there but sometimes striking up the courage to approach others in a new environment can be the first step to beginning a conversation.
    I know many clubs and activities might have halted during the pandemic but I wonder if anything in your area will be opening up again now restrictions are easing? It could potentially be useful to find a club, class or social event based on your interests so you could meet people with similar hobbies or likes. You might even find that somebody else there is also on their own and feeling the same as you!
    Another good way to meet new people could be to see if there are volunteering opportunities in your local area. Who knows you might even pick up a new set of skills or new hobby alongside this as well.

I hope this helps. Remember there are lots of people on these discussion boards whom I'm sure would be happy to listen too if you're ever wanting a friendly chat =)
  • oscar99oscar99 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    All those suggestion sound interesting.

I find hard to find clubs or stuff with my interests.
    Like I don't do much esport besides cicling.
    And well my interest lie in books music and movies.

I find quite daunting to open talk to someone online.
    I think it might be easier inperson.
  • naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    Hi @oscar99 I find it difficult also to find friends and I often use the situations of being in a new place or area to make friends because we both are in a new situation where we want to make friends. You said that your interests lie in books and movies, maybe you could look for a local book club or even a movie club where you could find new people. See if your local library is hosting such an event or look for some online geared toward your age group. This will allow you to meet people in real life situations.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    It is actually hard. Speak about things you both like. And just remember people love to speak about themselves
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) I always say that finding your first friends or group is hardest because you're going from nothing. Neighbours is a good place to look - maybe you can help them with something? There's lots of interest groups about - I know you prefer in-person to online, but finding groups in your local area through Discord or Meetup can be good if they meet up in person? You can also think about where you might find people with similar interests - you'll find people who like books in libraries, music-lovers at concerts, cyclists at local cycling groups. Otherwise, volunteering is a great place to look, as you're working with others so getting to know each other is a natural step there :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.