Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Books

SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 761 Part of The Mix Family
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi, I’m not sure if there’s already a post like this, sorry if there is.

Happy Sunday!

I was wondering if anyone had any book suggestions. I love hearing about books people are passionate about , it’s a great way to find hidden gems. Books are amazing, whether they make you laugh, cry or make your heart hammer in your chest.

Hope you have a brilliant day!
youutrv3zfdv.gif
Picture: person standing behind pile of books, yelling I want to read all the books.
You're awesome!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AbbyOwlAbbyOwl Posts: 125 The Mix Convert
    edited July 2021
    Hey @SpaceOtter :smile:

This is my sort of post! :smiley: Maybe too many suggestions, but I've put some of my favourite books/most recently read
      Fantasy
      Shadow and Bone trilogy
      Six of Crows duology
      King of Scars duology
      A court of Thorn and Roses series

Historical Fiction
      Pachinko
      The Island of Sea Women
      The Wolf Den
      All the Light We Cannot See
      Atonement

Classics
      The Go Between
      Wuthering Heights
      Shirley
      North and South
      To Kill a Mockingbird

Non-Fiction
      Humankind
      Utopia For Realists

Hope you have a lovely week! :blush:
    • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
      Oooh I love this post idea!

My favourite book that I've read in 2021 is the midnight library by matt haig. clever, creative, and comforting - would really recommend :heart:

where the crawdads sing by delia owens is a good one too. I didn't think it had the most enriching plot; however, the writing style is incredible. it is the most transported into a story-world that a book has made me feel (other than the harry potter books perhaps), totally feel like you're there. so that's a great book if you're looking for a bit of escapism :blush:
    • SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 761 Part of The Mix Family
      Hey @AbbyOwl , you can never have too many suggestions. Those all seem like pretty awesome books, thank you for the wonderful book recommendations. I actually think I have to kill a mockingbird, I think this is my sign to read it :)
      You're awesome!
      Hi @coc0mac thank you those sound like awesome books. I will definitely check them out. I love books that transport you into another world it can feel truly amazing. Only problem is sometimes I don’t want to leave :joy:

Hope you have an awesome day :)
      You're awesome!
    • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
      Hey :) Currently reading Marcus Aurelius' Meditations - it's a really insightful book, would recommend!
      FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
      I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
      I'm sure a lot of us have read it but Perks of Being a Wallflower is a book I have read over and over again for years <3 TW for some difficult topics throughout - won't say what to not ruin it in case anyone does not want to know =)
      I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
      The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
      The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
      haha totally! you're welcome. and thank you so much - i hope you have a fab day too! :blush:
    • oscar99oscar99 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
      Mm I love books so so much

So here goes a list.

Fantasy stuff

Dresden Files.
      Wheel of time
      Mistborn
      The Stormlight Archive
      Malazan Book of the fallen.
      The withcer series.
      Assassin's Apprentice
      The Blade Itself

Sci fi stuff.
      Red Rising
      Ender game
      Dune
      Anything assimov has written.
      Yes @LorryTruck !! I abso love the film too - I think Logan Lerman plays the role perfectly =)
    • naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
      A good book I have reread recently is "My not so perfect life" by Sophie Kinsella. It's kind of like a feel good, kind of relatable story and a bit of romance because why not!!
      Girl, Interrupted is an intense, sad one but again really great :)
      Happy Tuesday!

@oscar99 that’s a really good list. I love fantasy and sci-fi stuff so I’ll definitely have to look into those. :)

@naomi I’ve never heard of that book before but I looked it up and the blurb really has me intrigued, it sounds like a really interesting book.

@AislingDM sad but intense books can be hard to get through but often really worth it. I like being taken on an emotional journey.
      There’s a book I read called the goldfinch by Donna Tarrt that was a beautifully sad book at times but undoubtedly one of my favourites.

You're awesome!
    • ForestWitchForestWitch Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
      Hiya,
      this is definitely something i can participate in. From the start of this year i've been getting back into reading.

Here are my suggestions:
      Cemetery Boys
      Six of Crows + Crooked Kingdom (honestly the whole of the grishaverse)
      The guilded ones
      Circe
      Red, White and royal blue

These are the books which have gotten me back into reading so i would 100% recommended :))
    • emilia_eemilia_e Posts: 16 Settling in
      Can never go wrong with to kill a mockingbird, such a classic
      In terms of books to learn from, I was beyond grateful to read Professor Angela Davis' Women, Race and Class.