Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How are you feeling about the proposed easing of restrictions in July?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is feeling because I know there are a wide-range of opinions and emotions surrounding the government's plans/choices. I thought it might be useful to talk it out and maybe learn from each other? <3
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I personally plan to keep wearing masks and social distancing, particularly as not everyone is double vaxxed in the country yet :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OliOli Posts: 120 The Mix Convert
    I'm with you, @AislingDM. I think I will continue to wear my mask for the time being. Not only for COVID, but I've also found it really helps me with my social anxiety. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same?
  • PhoebsflowersPhoebsflowers Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    I’ll admit I’m feeling a bit nervous that masks are going to become optional in England. Even though I’ve had both of my vaccines, I’m still vulnerable and I think it’s a bit early to change things so suddenly. I think public places like shops and transport should still have tougher restrictions in place to keep everyone safe.
    I don’t know what anyone else thinks about the mask situation?
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I’m in Scotland and I think we’ve made the right decision by delaying the full easing by a few weeks. I think England should really keep an eye on their situation for a few more weeks given that it seems to be changing very rapidly atm, with cases going up. It’s worth keeping an eye on the hospital numbers etc and if they don’t go up dramatically, then people might feel more comfortable.

That said, I don’t think I’d choose to wear a mask in most situations (with the possible exception of public transport). Especially once I’ve had my second vaccine.

I won’t miss having to book everything, even the pub across the road from me is operating on a bookings only policy at the moment (you can book 5 minutes in advance, but still) there’s something I miss about being able to take trips out and change plans spontaneously.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I’m not feeling good about it at all, I think it’s way too early. There are still 30’000 cases a day which is insane. I know the number of deaths has decreased but they always increase a little while after the cases rise. I think if we can just keep wearing masks and social distancing for a bit longer it will make things slightly better. I personally will keep on wearing a mask because it’s so easy to do and if it can help reduce the number of cars then at least that’s something.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    edited July 2021
    I have a mixed reaction; I can see its positive impacts that doesn't change that the virus is still out there. It doesn't change the fact that there are still cases out there.
    I'm hoping that whilst we do enjoy our freedom, we can be mindful of our safety and that this battle isn't over just yet.
    I'm still going to continue wearing a mask.

I'm also aware that one of the vaccines has a rare side effect that's had people hospitalised(?) (Correct me if I'm wrong) and there's a been a lot of reluctance with getting the vaccine. (Might start a different thread on this since this might be for a different conversation). So even if the lockdown has been eased, there's also some concerns that needs to be addressed.

On the other hand, the lockdown has also impacted our daily lives abruptly. So it might take a lot of time for some people to readjust back to their daily routine.

Honestly, it's just a lot to take in. :sweat::sweat_smile:
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I'm honestly kind of worried, we've already have the restrictions eased multiple times before and each time it led to a big uptick in cases and deaths. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, the vaccine is definitely a factor to consider but as others have mentioned not everybody is fully vaccinated yet.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    There are some aspects of lockdown lifting that I feel excited about but also some aspects of lockdown lifting that I feel worried about such as the rules on face coverings.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't know how I feel tbh
    I got on a bus yesterday and nobody but me was wearing a mask. There was at least 7-8 other people who did not have a mask. Im kinda at a point now where I've learnt to live with the threat of covid. I've had covid. I've had both vaccines. I've done what I can to protect myself
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I see what you mean @LorryTruck , like we are all desperate to just get back to some normalcy! It still feels a little worrying on the level of case and (sadly) death numbers being high but fingers crossed we're going in the right direction, at least with most people getting vaxxed.

Couldn't agree more @Oli ! I tend to go red when I get nervous and embarrassed and so the mask covers most of that up nicely haha! I'm glad to hear some positivity has been derived from this for you <3

Yeah yeah 100% we all need to be thinking about the most at-risk people in the country @Phoebsflowers ! Bless your heart, I am sure this is causing you a fair amount of worry. I couldn't agree more about certain places maintaining restrictions, thankfully I've seen a lot of info about supermarkets, Uber and public transport keeping masks at the bare minimum!

Yeah it seems like a lot of other countries have had a much more appropriate response to the virus throughout the last 18 months! But yes defo agree about missing the spontaneity, being unable to turn up somewhere without a lot of foresight can be very frustrating. @independent_

I get you ! @Aidan like coming out of this (regardless of whether it's a good idea or not) is always going to be confusing because certain places will stop masks sooner than others and I do wonder often if things will ever go back truly to 'normal'? I must say I have been enjoying the lack of colds/flus I have had as a result of enhanced hygiene and masks in public spaces.

I agree, I think it's also fairly concerning that the NHS could become overwhelmed and if we are not careful enough this summer then we could be back in another lockdown over winter which feels even more concerning! @Dandelion :(

Yes completely @lovemimoon ! It makes so much sense to be in such a dual mindset about this, like there are clear benefits and clear drawbacks to easing restrictions and I think it's hard because a lot of people (myself included) have a hard time trusting the government's plans, especially when lots of experts disagree?? But equally there is the en-masse mental ill-health caused by the lockdown and lack of social support so, it's a tough one! (P.s. I love your profile pic!)

Couldn't agree more @Riley ! I think another concerning thing about the lack of double vaccinated people is that a fair number of those are young people (as we got the opportunity later on to get vaxxed) and we are likely to go to crowded events (like clubs) and so I am not putting the onus upon young people, but it does feel worrying how fast the virus could spread in these settings before we're all double vaxxed!

100% it really is such a complex reaction to such a complex period of time @Dancer :(

I love to hear how proactive you are at keeping yourself (and others safe) @GreenTea ! But yeah 100% like seeing people do a 180 on masks so fast after the easing of restrictions must be scary, tbh I do not look forward to my first trip out to the supermarket after my isolation :/

Defo! @zaynab_5 like it feels like the pattern of easing restrictions and rising cases is so clear and evident. I think we should at least be waiting till we reach 90% double vaxxed across the country (where possible, I know it's harder for certain groups to access the vaccine or feel comfortable getting it e.g., sex workers).

Thank you everyone for being so insightful here, I really appreciate gaining everyone's perspective as it helps me to better understand where everyone is at atm in terms of covid :)

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    This is a great thread, great to see everyone's perspectives! It would be interesting to see how everyone is feeling now that the "freedom day" (I don't like that term haha!) has arrived? :heart:

I'm sure it's different everywhere, but I have noticed that not a huge difference has happened where I am. Lots of people, including myself, are still wearing their masks like normal. Which is reassuring to see!
  • OliOli Posts: 120 The Mix Convert
    coc0mac wrote: »
    This is a great thread, great to see everyone's perspectives! It would be interesting to see how everyone is feeling now that the "freedom day" (I don't like that term haha!) has arrived? :heart:

I'm sure it's different everywhere, but I have noticed that not a huge difference has happened where I am. Lots of people, including myself, are still wearing their masks like normal. Which is reassuring to see!

Yeah, it's very much the same where I am, @coc0mac. 90% of people are still wearing masks indoors and on public transport. Which like you say, is comforting to see!
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    That's fab @Oli, very comforting for sure!
  • AnnieDPAnnieDP Posts: 22 Boards Initiate
    I'm in the same boat as you, @coc0mac and @Oli, lots of people are still wearing masks in my area even if they don't have to. It gives me a lot of faith that so many people are continuing to take the pandemic seriously and willing to do things that further help other people!

Definitely makes things feel more secure than I expected :)
    Yeah completely agree @coc0mac !!! people appear to be remaining safe and cautious, for me I am mostly seeing people forgetting a mask and still choosing to go into the shops, which admittedly, is not great but at least generally people still seem pretty on it =) I am continuing to conduct myself the way I have the whole pandemic and certainly won't be considering changing until at least having my second vax <3
  • charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    It's been the worst. Like literally the worst. With no school, I couldn't get any help when i needed it and it was just awful.
    That sounds simply horrid for you @charlieboyz being left with no one to turn to is absolutely awful, especially given that this pandemic has just added so much stress to everyone's existing problems. When you say you couldn't get help, do you mean in terms of mental health support or academic, or both? Being isolated from all your points of connection is so lonely truly. I really hope this coming year will be better, but I can't say I'm feeling all too optimistic from reading the news :(
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    I'm really sorry to hear this @charlieboyz :/

There should always be support available!

What type of support were you looking for that you couldn't access when you needed it?

Hopefully, we can help to make sure that support is available if similar rules are re-applied! <3
    @AislingDM both @Laura_tigger82 i was needing like school to help me through family stuff
    edited December 2021
    Sorry to hear this @charlieboyz :/ You deserve to have been able to access the support, especially at this difficult time. I am sorry this was not the case for you.

Is there a pastoral worker you work with frequently in your school? They may be known by other names such as personal tutor, mentor, counsellor, therapist, advocate, a key worker, coach, an intervention support worker, an intervention leader, an intervention facilitator, a nurture practitioner or a thrive practitioner, etc. Really anyone who helps to look out for you outside of the classroom.

If so, are you able to maintain contact with them? If not, please remember that you have other support services like us, Childline, Shout, and Samaritans. We are all just a message or call away! :3
    yeah i have a pastoral worker only she is really bad. I don't want her to tell my adoptive parents because they make me suffer for it but she still does. @Laura_tigger82
    I'm so sorry @charlieboyz :/

Well definitely remember we are always here for you and so are Childline, Shout, and Samaritans <3
    It must make life even more unbearable and challenging to have a pastoral worker who does not show up for you. You truly do not deserve this @charlieboyz ! Being supported throughout the worst times should be the bare minimum that schools provide for us, as no young person should shoulder pain alone. I know you've mentioned lack of support from school and I am curious about if there is any doctor that you've felt comfortable confiding in at all?

It is clear to me that you are struggling a lot, and it is simply terrible that your mental health, family life and schoolwork is not being prioritised by the school. I also just wanted to check if you wanted to talk more about your adoptive parents making you suffer after speaking to your pastoral worker? (more than okay if not) Big hugs <3 xx
    Hey @AislingDM they tell a lot, and say I'm overreacting. It's been really bad. So bad that I went to hospital via ambulance
    I'm so sorry to hear this @charlieboyz

I saw your post about being moved into care soon. How are you feeling about this?

Have you got any support in place at the moment whilst you are waiting to go into care?

Please remember we are all here for you if you want to talk to someone. You don't have to go through this alone. We are listening to you and care about you <3
    @Laura_tigger82 excited and happy cause I've wanted it for so long but at the same time what about school
    Hi @charlieboyz

I can hear your mixed emotions. It is both a positive time for you and a nervous time.

In all honesty, the school will depend on if you are moved into social care in the same area or in a different area. If you live in the same area, you can sometimes attend the same school.

Childline has more information about this at https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/home-families/family-relationships/living-care/ which you might find useful.

If you have any questions or need anything to be clarified, please ask away! :3
    Having to cope with such extreme happiness at hopefully having a better home situation, along with the confusion about how to manage this intense process alongside school must be so draining. Because on the one hand, it's hopefully happy days, but on the other you're being forced to still live life like school 'normally' as if the rest of your life isn't completely changing. You of course deserve space to process moving around and settling down, without having to panic about school. Just wanted to check in with how you've been feeling over the last week or so? <3 xxx