Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Loneliness

Hey! I am interested to know what helps you cope when loneliness has become a constant in life?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @Nutella1234 hope you are ok?

I find connection, even virtual connection with strangers like on here does help.

Do you have anyone in your life you could talk to when you are feeling very lonely? I have a trusted family member I call when I am down.

Hopefully you will get some other tips here too
    Take care
    Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    Hey, I am sorry that you are feeling lonely. I am familiar with this feeling but I can assure this is not feeling that lasts forever. My advice is to first and foremost, find someone to talk to. I know it's easier said than done but finding one person or even a group will help for example these chat forums is a great environment to talk to others and feel part of something. Or you could go to the support chat forum to just talk about your feelings. Personally for me I found talking to my friend was really helpful because I felt like I was no longer alone mentally.
    Also you could take time to do something that you enjoy and like said previously do a class on that thing as it may open opportunities to speak with others who enjoy what you enjoy. Do something that genuinely brings you joy each time you do it.
    Take time to do exercise and eat well to boost the release of endorphins which are your "happy hormones".
    But if you really feel down and really alone then may I suggest that you reach out to professionals or organisations such as Shout - 85258 who can provide support 24/7.
    Hope any of this helps!
  • Options
    ForestWitchForestWitch Posts: 42 The answer to life, the universe, and everything
    Heya!

First i want to say I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this.
    I would say definitely finding community with others online can help you deal with loneliness, that can be through communities around things which you enjoy or online spaces like this one!

Hopefully, you also have some friends and family which you can reach out to to help support you with this. However, i do know that loneliness doesn't always mean you are physically alone.

Anyway, i hope you can find some great tips to help you through this and remember that this won't last forever.

Sending you much happiness,
    Becky :)
  • Options
    IsaacnmIsaacnm Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi.
    Im sorry that you were feeling lonely when you posted this, and I hope that you are feeling better currently.
    I would say that personally it's the little things like getting regular fresh air and exercise, spending time with family and loved one's, and finding and doing things that you personally enjoy.
    I hope that you have people close to you who you can open up to about feeling lonely and down.
    I recognise that it is easy to not talk about how you are feeling when you are down, but know there is always a community here to support you if needs be.
    All the best,
    Isaac.
  • Options
    natdsnatds Posts: 12 Settling in
    Hey @Nutella1234 , firstly I think its important to acknowledge that feeling lonely is common and doesn't make us any different from other people (I used to get down about feeling this way a lot). From my own experience I'd say that finding joy in the little things and also finding joy in being by myself was the most important.

I started to do things by myself that I would never do in a million years without someone by my side. I think going for a walk and listening to a podcast or your favourite music is a good place to start. Once you realise that people are not judging, the easier it all gets. I now get coffee by myself or even go shopping on my own! Baby steps can honestly make such a difference.

However, whenever I feel lonely and don't feel like leaving the house, I watch some YouTube or a tv show because that way it makes me forget about the real world for a while.

Sending hugs :)
  • Options
    renwrenw Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    Hi @Nutella1234, I hope you are feeling a better :)

I just wanted to pop on and say that feeling lonely is a completely normal and is more common than you think. I used to feel lonely quite regularly, especially in my first year at university, so I thought I could share some tips on how I helped myself with the hopes that they might be able to help you!

One of the things I found the most helpful, and has been mentioned a few times already, is getting out and getting some fresh air even if it was for 20 minutes. Maybe there is a new album that you have been meaning to listen to, or a new episode of your favourite podcast that you have not got round to listening to yet? You could pop that on and go for a walk for the duration of said album or podcast, that way you have been listening to something you enjoy whilst also helping yourself.

I also found it hard to reach out to people when I felt lonely, which in turn made the loneliness worse. To combat this, I often baked or cooked something which I then used as a tool to help me reach out to people. If I had baked a cake, i would text a friend and say 'I have just made this, do you fancy popping over and sharing it with me?' allowing for 2 good things to happen - cake and friends

A final thing that I recommend is finding an activity or video game that you have wanted to try for a while and immerse yourself in it. Often there are online forums and chat rooms that are dedicated to discussing these things too, especially when it comes to video games and that way you are talking to people that have a shared interest!

I hope this helps and that you start to feel better.
    Big hugs
    Ren
  • Options
    jazcharlottejazcharlotte Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    hey @Nutella1234
    Firstly I am sending you a huge virtual hug. I hope that you are feeling better <3
    I am sorry that you are feeling alone, that is not a good feeling, but I wanted to reassure you that it is a normal thing to experience. Many of us experience loneliness - so in that you are not alone. I found that getting out for a walk helped me feel less alone, you can appreciate the birds and nature around you (I quite often end up talking to animals I find - they can be good listeners).
    Sometimes it is hard to reach out to people to explain you are feeling lonely but maybe you don't have to, you could call a friend to find out how they are getting on and maybe arrange to see them without needing to explain. But if you feel its something you do want to address with them but don't know how, I often practise what I want to say to my pets!
    You are always welcome to talk on here too if you don't feel that you have any pets to practise talking to <3
    Hugs,
    Jaz