Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Experiencing hair loss

Past UserPast User Recovering🥀LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
edited June 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by AislingDM on

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Bless your heart @zaynab_5 ! I know that losing your hair, even if only in little bits, can be really stressful and concerning. It sounds worrying for you, especially when you're not 100% sure of the cause and are trying to think of what to do about it. It makes sense to seek some support about this, especially if you're thinking it is to do with stress. You deserve to get some answers and hopefully counteract the hair loss, because we know you're not happy with it right now!

Whilst I am no doctor, so do not have any medical advice about this, I've read a lot about this from when I was losing a lot of hair too. Given that stress is often a big cause for hair loss ofc the first step is to 'minimise stressful environments', but life is rarely this simple, so sometimes it's about working out whether there is a pattern to the loss (e.g., particularly stressed on given day/week) and trying to work from there. So, i'm wondering if you've noticed a pattern? We could talk this out if you'd like?

In terms of actual tips, I found I lost most hair when showering and a lot of the online information suggested that (along with stress causing the hair loss, it is not helped by) harsh treatment of the hair is not great. There were lots of suggestions that different chemicals in popular shampoos and conditioners can actually be harmful for one's hair, so i moved to using products without parabens and sulphates. I also started only brushing and combing my hair in the shower with conditioner in and this reduced extra breakage massively. Moreover, some suggest that tying your hair tightly can pull on the hair folicles and make them weaker (and more prone to breakage). I found that leaving oils like First Lady herbals and stuff for a few hours really improved the overall quality of my hair too! I must say though, all these tips are coming from a white person with like 1b hair (that has been atrociously bleached and dyed) so this advice might not be applicable to all hair types ofc! I was recently reading an article about how sulphates can be really good for Afro hair! So depending on your hair type, some other tips might be accessible online and I'd be more than happy to google some for you <3

https://gal-dem.com/afro-answers-why-you-need-sulfates-in-your-shampoo-how-to-read-labels/

https://gal-dem.com/afro-answers-why-your-hair-type-isnt-actually-4c-and-how-to-stop-hair-loss/

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health-news/hair-care-20-ways-to-reduce-hair-loss-in-men/articleshow/20025393.cms

Overall though, it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor and see what they think, especially because if it is linked to psychological distress they could offer some support for that (in which case the hair loss would hopefully stop over time with support <3). I hope any of these tips are a little helpful, I can't imagine how much you're struggling with this atm, and so I am grateful you're talking about it :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    That is abso no worries @zaynab_5 !! You deserve to get support with this, but I totally get your point about already having been to the doctors and knowing they're dealing with a lot. Does this mean you're getting a bit of support for your mental illness? (again feel free not to answer!!)

Your hair sounds beauts and it sounds like it must be so frustrating and more stressful when you start losing it :( I'm really glad you're asking about what to do, so you dont have to suffer in silence. Hair can be a really important thing for people and you deserve to be happy with it <3 Do let me know if any of these tips work for you, as I said (and you already know ofc) my hair loss went away a bit when I felt less stressed but it really was these 'smaller' tips that made me feel more confident and less anxious on the day-to-day even if they didn't necessarily 'resolve the problem'.
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Hey hey hey, this looks like the thread for me. I have alopecia and trichotillomania (awful combo because when my hair isn't falling out, I'll be pulling it out instead :frown: )

The biggest thing I can recommend is alpecin caffeine shampoo. It's a little expensive but honestly leave in in for upwards of 5 minutes and you can literally feel it working.

Also have a look into vitamin supplements, especially C and D

If you've got any questions feel free to pm me or ask on here - I've been going through it for 13 years now.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Oh that is simply amazing, love @zaynab_5 !!! I'm really pleased to hear that you're feeling happier in your social life and that it's had a strong positive knock on effect for your hair too <3 You really do deserve to feel happy in your appearance and it's cool that things seem to be working out x

These sound like amazing tips @Anch0r33 abso love it ! bless your heart too though, having to deal with those immense problems for years must be draining in ways :( and the fact that you're here talking about it and even sharing advice is so cool and compassionate of you <3