Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your fave thing about urself

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
It can be anything from a physical feature, to a skill, a hobby, a trait - anything goes <3 I just want to see some self-love, even if it's the smallest thing in the world because you guys deserve to see how awesome you ARE!!!
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
Tagged:

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    For me, it is my eyes because I spent years hating them due to my squint which makes my eye turn in and out, I thought it made me look weird as a kid, but now I know it makes me look cool =)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    edited May 2021
    Thank you for starting this thread!

I admire my hair a lot. Back then, I was picked on for it a lot because it 'made me look like a boy' but as time went on, I've learned to embrace it.

I love my 4c hair and nothing nor no one can do anything to change it.
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Really really love this thread I think we all tend to get so caught up thinking negative things about ourselves and so it becomes so important to stop and focus on what we like instead! For me I really love my hair, it's super curly at the ends and stays at just the right length to look good while still being manageable. :lol:
  • rainskyerainskye Posts: 130 The Mix Convert
    I completely agree with what @Riley said. It can be sometimes really difficult to identify what we like about ourselves or even accept ourselves. Physically I like my eyes, they're a nice shade of blue, they're almost grey like which isn't as common. I also like my ability to empathise with others, and I believe I'm a good listener and give advice when needed.
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kaypoppitkaypoppit Posts: 17 Settling in
    I really admire my own resilience from time to time. Looking back, I've been through an awful lot, and I think I've done a good job at dealing with the things I had to. There's a quote (not sure who said it, sorry!) which says "You've defeated and won every bad day that has come your way so far". Really makes me stop and think "Wow, I have done that! I'm still alive and kicking despite everything that's happened!"
  • m3gan04m3gan04 Posts: 28 Boards Initiate
    kaypoppit wrote: »
    I really admire my own resilience from time to time. Looking back, I've been through an awful lot, and I think I've done a good job at dealing with the things I had to. There's a quote (not sure who said it, sorry!) which says "You've defeated and won every bad day that has come your way so far". Really makes me stop and think "Wow, I have done that! I'm still alive and kicking despite everything that's happened!"

Well done! It honestly is something to be so proud of, and is one of the things that keeps me going. We’ve been through so much and it’s only made us stronger.
    It’s a difficult thing to accept your past and even see the benefits of negative experiences. They’ve shaped you into the incredible person you are today! <3
  • kaypoppitkaypoppit Posts: 17 Settling in
    m3gan04 wrote: »
    kaypoppit wrote: »

Well done! It honestly is something to be so proud of, and is one of the things that keeps me going. We’ve been through so much and it’s only made us stronger.
    It’s a difficult thing to accept your past and even see the benefits of negative experiences. They’ve shaped you into the incredible person you are today! <3

@m3gan04 Thank you so much! I totally agree with everything you've said, I wouldn't be the person I am today without everything I've been through, and the truth is, I really like who I've become! So I'm thankful for them in a way. Thank you so much for your reply, it was really sweet to read <3
  • m3gan04m3gan04 Posts: 28 Boards Initiate
    My favourite thing about myself is my empathy. As a child I would always try to see the other persons perspective in situations, I guess out of curiosity. The quiet kids always think the most. My mum used to tell me I was too understanding and people would walk all over me - take advantage.

Years later the people I trusted most did exactly that... I was so fixated on the negative aspects of other people’s lives that I felt obliged to help them feel happy even at the cost of my own happiness/well-being. A naive people pleaser.

I felt like a naive people pleaser who was too optimistic. However, it was only after I empathised with my abuser that my empathetic nature became something I love.

I was filled with so much anger, regret and self-blame. I’d lay awake every night, or be consistently awoken by nightmares, thinking of why... why me? Why didn’t I listen? Why do I let people do this to me?

After the court case came back as a not guilty verdict due to lack of evidence I realised these emotions would never pass - there was no closure. These intense emotions would only do more harm to my own mental health. I found peace in trying to understand the reasoning behind my abusers actions. Analysing his life, actions and current attitudes. I took myself back to memorable locations to prompt my memory and fully accept the past. My empathy to his loneliness, poor upbringing etc. Helped me move on. I now have the answer to those questions, and understand that
    it wasn’t my fault! <3

It wasn’t my people pleasing, my empathy, my nativity, rather his personal upbringing and choices.

An explanation for his behaviour does not justify the action

My empathy is not a weakness, rather my own philosophical tool to mental peace and acceptance.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Guys I am actually thrilled to see how many wonderful things you like about yourselves! Especially those things that structural oppressions, like racism, try to make you hate, like hair type and skin @lovemimoon and @zaynab_5 , I really appreciate you sharing this with us all and to know that you can see your own beauty is truly fantastic <3

As has been said, developing confidence in any sense can be immensely tough and I want you all to know that it is a wonderful thing to know your own beauty. You deserve this, and despite what some people say, it is not arrogant to compliment yourself, in actuality it is the only thing we can do to realise how cool we all are!

@m3gan04 Thank you so very much for sharing your amazing trait and your difficult experiences. Facing abuse in this way must have been truly awful for you, and beyond undeserved! You are so so right, your empathy is a gift, no matter how others might make you feel about it. If your empathy towards your abuser could bring you peace, then it could never be a bad thing! You are so brave and amazing for this, I hope you are proud of yourself =)<3