Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How can I tax my car!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The insurance woman was most unhelpful. She said it would take 5 working days for my new insurance to arrive even though I am actually insured to drive it now. It needs tax and I can't get that without having insurance. I have insurance! Is there anyway I can get tax for the car or do I have to wait until the documents come though :grump:

Comments

• Options
    Can you tax it online? If you ring the insurers and ask for your details maybe you could get round it that way but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    I guess I can do that but I still can't bloody drive the car!! Argghhh
  • Options
    Won't it be taxed automatically if you do it online?
  • Options
    just drive it any way, if you get pullied over the police will just take your details and send them to the DVLA, this takes a couple of weeks, by which time you will have tax,
  • Options
    Isn't that a bit dodgy? Try get it sorted out ASAP you don't want a fine
  • Options
    I know but a week! Gaaah. I can't even renew online until the insurance stuff comes. Guess I'm fucked

I probably would drive it if it had an old tax disk in but there's just a bare space lol it looks preeeety obvious

DAMN :grump:
  • Options
    Get the insurers to fax a cover note to you, thats if there is somewhere you can get to a fax machine
  • Options
    or email one?
  • Options
    Well I asked the insurance if theres any way I can get it taxed faster and they just said no. She was unhelpful though so I'm not sure I believed her. Someone said to me they'd send a cover note by the next day but she didn't mention that. I haven't got a fax machine though
  • Options
    gems2381 wrote: »
    Isn't that a bit dodgy? Try get it sorted out ASAP you don't want a fine

Thats what I'm trying to do! I'm trying to get it taxed but I can't until the documents come through :rolleyes:
  • Options
    if you have a new style MOT you can tax it online, you just need the number off your V5 or the reminder letter.

The only way your insurance would stop you doing that is if they haven't insured it to start today [or whatever date you paid for it].

If it takes that long to get your insurance documents I'd suggest changing insurers next year, what would they be like if you had an accident?!
  • Options
    Asta wrote: »

If it takes that long to get your insurance documents I'd suggest changing insurers next year, what would they be like if you had an accident?!

I am insured on my car I just don't have the documents

I rang back and the woman said it could have gone next day delivery but the other woman didn't say that even though I said I really needed them. But she said that because tomorrow is friday then it won't get there until monday - surely it will because there is post on saturday? ARGH
  • Options
    Does sound like they're being pretty bad- but you won't be able to buy car tax from the post office without your insurance certificate/cover note, so until you get hold of either of those things I think you're gonna have to hold on.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I am insured on my car I just don't have the documents

I rang back and the woman said it could have gone next day delivery but the other woman didn't say that even though I said I really needed them. But she said that because tomorrow is friday then it won't get there until monday - surely it will because there is post on saturday? ARGH
    Royal Mail don't garuntee delivery on a Saturday.

This links takes you to the DVLA site, type in your registration number and your logbook number, pay your pounds and it'll be in the post for you.

Cliky Here
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    just drive it any way, if you get pullied over the police will just take your details and send them to the DVLA, this takes a couple of weeks, by which time you will have tax,

Except they now have direct IT links to the database...
  • Options
    Asta wrote: »
    Royal Mail don't garuntee delivery on a Saturday.

[/URL]

GUUAAAARRRGHHHHHH BASTARDS!

It takes a while for the tax disk to come in the post, I'm better off waiting for the insurance thing to come
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, the cover note won't work when you go for tax at the PO. You have to have your actual policy plus your V5 registration document, otherwise they'll just tell you to go away and come back when you've got them.
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, the cover note won't work when you go for tax at the PO. You have to have your actual policy plus your V5 registration document, otherwise they'll just tell you to go away and come back when you've got them.

:yes: I guess I'll just be playing the waiting game for the time being. Poop
  • Options
    If you do it online then it would check on the insurance database, you don't need to have the certificate.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    If you do it online then it would check on the insurance database, you don't need to have the certificate.

Its still an offense to have a car on public road without displaying the tax disk, even if its in the post or in your house, or even in the glove compartment
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Its still an offense to have a car on public road without displaying the tax disk, even if its in the post or in your house, or even in the glove compartment

Technically it can be, but it depends, but that's not really something to worry about.

When you tax the car online your car is taxed immediately. And the DVLA/police use automatic vehicle registration equipment to detect taxed vehicles; if the DVLA database says the car's taxed, then the car is taxed.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

Wrong.
    If you get pulled over by the police and the tax is more than 28 days out of date the car will be impounded.

Ask for an insurance cover note and use that at the post office to tax your car, alternatively do it online. All you need is the V5 or reminder. DVLA search the insurance database and use that to verify if you are insured or not.
  • Options
    I did mine today at PO. The form I was sent said you could use a valid cover note.
  • Options
    Virgin point blank refused to send a cover note. What they did do is send my motor insurance certificate first class which arrived today. I shall skedaddle down to the post office now :)
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I did mine today at PO. The form I was sent said you could use a valid cover note.
    My bad, I was thinking of the schedule.
  • Options
    Alex9Alex9 Posts: 1 Just got here
    The insurance woman was most unhelpful. She said it would take 5 working days for my new insurance to arrive even though I am actually insured to drive it now. It needs tax and I can't get that without having insurance. I have insurance! Is there anyway I can get tax for the car or do I have to wait until the documents come though :grump:
    You can now tax your car online as well.

• Options
    ConnorConnor Deactivated Posts: 508 Incredible Poster
    Closing the thread as it is an old thread @Alex9
This discussion has been closed.