Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dealing with negative feedback

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
edited May 2021 in General Chat
So I’ve just started a new job at my weekend job as a weekend retail supervisor. I’m really enjoying it so far, but when it gets busy I can find it really overwhelming. So far since I’ve been supervisor there has been a lot of pressure from managers particularly the store manager. The store manager is known for being quite strict. One thing I’m finding most difficult is dealing with everything at once when it gets busy and sometimes this can lead to the till queue getting longer than it should before I put more till staff on. As soon as I notice it I obviously get more staff, but my store manager has been on me about reacting quickly. This negative feedback tends to really upset me as I’m trying my best and there is nothing I can really do to improve it. I try to explain to her that I was busy with something else and I always get more staff as soon as I notice, but I don’t want to argue with her so most of the time I just apologise and carry on.

Negative feedback really gets to me and I often get really upset about it, especially as she’ll come and speak to me about it whilst I’m working. I don’t want anyone to see me get upset about it but I can sometimes find it hard to control. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to sort of carry on and not get upset by negative feedback like this.
The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 

Comments

• Options
    SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 817 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi @Dandelion big hugs, I definitely relate to this a lot. Also congratulations on the new Job. It may sound silly but One thing that helps me is repeating certain phrases in my head after being given negative feedback, like “it’s ok, everyone makes mistakes, I’m only human”. Another thing that’s helped me is taking a step back and thinking about what I was like a few shifts ago, I’ve often improved in ways I haven’t noticed before. It gives me confidence and reminds me that eventhough I feel like I’m constantly making mistakes I’m actually doing good.

I’m sorry this probably wasn’t much help. You’ve already done amazing by getting the job in the first place. Always happy to listen if you ever need anything <3
    You're awesome!
  • Options
    Thanks @SpaceOtter for replying. That is actually great help. I probably should be reminding myself that I’ve only just started the job and I’m still learning x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    edited May 2021
    Hey. I know supervisors are asked to do a lot and the pay isn’t even much difference. When I feel overwhelmed at work I just think we’ll no ones gunna die and I’m doing the best I can. And on minimum wage

Have you heard of the retail trust. You can get support from them if wanted it? If ask HR they will give this leaflet (don’t have to speak about work with them) iuo7uk25otop.jpeg
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Shaunie wrote: »
    Hey. I know supervisors are asked to do a lot and the pay isn’t even much difference. When I feel overwhelmed at work I just think we’ll no ones gunna die and I’m doing the best I can. And on minimum wage

Have you heard of the retail trust. You can get support from them if wanted it? If ask HR they will give this leaflet (don’t have to speak about work with them) iuo7uk25otop.jpeg

Thanks @Shaunie i have heard of them, but I don’t have a leaflet I’ll maybe speak to HR to get one.

And that’s totally true I need to remind myself that the stuff they’re getting annoyed about are so small and not worth worrying about.
  • Options
    Yeah exactly and you are still new at it all ! I’ve started a new contract too. And have to do ordering and I know for sure I’ve done it wrong for the past week barely ordered anything cause still getting used to the tablet. But it’s all still very new to me and even that is a lot to process. Let alone being a supervisor.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    @Shaunie thanks, ordering is so confusing lol and I’ve only ever done it once. I’m sure you’ll get used to it though x
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dandelion wrote: »
    @Shaunie thanks, ordering is so confusing lol and I’ve only ever done it once. I’m sure you’ll get used to it though x

Thanks I am getting a bit used to it now! Staff member showed me. Sometimes their “training” is shit. So just do the best they can and they will see you’re trying
  • Options
    @Dandelion
    Just out of interest. Has your work been more about mental well-being? Like In the canteen they have a paper that you can write down if you want to speak to someone about who you’re feeling and with who. Just wondering if it was there idea or the company.
  • Options
    @Shaunie, the managers did mention to people in a huddle that they can come and speak to them if we need, but that was pretty much it. That seems like a really nice idea having people write it down, it takes a lot of pressure off that way
  • Options
    sharellepatelsharellepatel Posts: 39 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Dandelion, congratulations on your new job!

Receiving negative feedback in any situation is never a nice feeling, especially if it is in a new job - I completely get that. I always find it really helps to take that negative feedback and turn it into something I can improve on. I like to think that every experience I have, good or bad, will grow me as a person, so it is all about flipping a negative into a positive to get the best out of the situation and actually benefit from the negative feedback. I really find this actually boosts my momentum and motivation!!

I hope that helps in anyway and good luck in your job <3
    Sending Hugs and a Helping Hand x