Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Vaccines for COVID

sailingswallowssailingswallows Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
I don't know if the doctors will let me have the COVID because of something that might be going on my with immune system, it can cause allergic reactions. Like I have started reacting to plasters which I never have before in my life. And all my other medical issues.
However I don't really want to start seeing any more people until I get the vaccine, going into medical settings makes me anxious about COVID (as well as the normal anxiety stuff). and I don't know if my new medical issues put me at risk because I don't have a diagnosis yet.
Basically I have got to talk to the GP and we have got to try and work out 1 is it safe for me to have the vaccine, 2 should I have it earlier rather than later, 3 how would we manage the possible reaction of I did have the vaccine.
I haven't had a vaccine since I started reacting so I have no clue what would happen.
Ahh freaking me out
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hey Sailing,

It can be worrying when you start having new symptoms, I’m sorry you’ve been feeling so anxious.

The vaccines are safe for most people, but even if it isn’t safe for you, hopefully most adults will be vaccinated soon so there will be less covid around so the environment will be generally safer for people who can’t have the vaccine because there’s a majority of people who have had it (I hope that makes sense, i can’t think of how to describe it lol).

We’re always here to listen if you need to talk or rant about anything <3
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • sailingswallowssailingswallows Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    @independent_
    I hope they will be safe for me, they might say wait until we know a bit more about what is happening with my body, or might wait until the 1 jab ones so that there is less ones to react to. all sorts of options. I really want it.
    All the people I currently see (regularly) have been vaccinated but moving into a time where I am going out more and have more in person appointments and activities and stuff. Its just like scary because I really don't need long Corvid ont top of everything else.
    thank you
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    No worries, it’s a scary time and I can imagine covid is a bigger worry for you because of your general health, but hopefully once more people have been vaccinated you’ll feel safer going out.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hey I know someone who was allergic to the vaccine but still had it. She had the Oxford one. She had to have it at the doctor's surgery and stay there for a couple hours so they could monitor her and apply any medication required. First one she had a EpiPen after but was absolutely fine in the long run.

Hope everything works out and if you speak to your GP it is possible
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    edited May 2021
    Hey,

Firstly, wanted to send love and support your way. Uncertainty like this never feels nice :heart:

One thing I always think with the vaccine and medical issues is GP's are trained experts. They have your health & safety in their very best interests, so will do all they can to figure out what's best for you.

Best of luck when you speak to your GP. Don't be afraid to ask questions - you deserve some reassurance for everything on your mind. I hope all works out well for you! :heart:
  • sailingswallowssailingswallows Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    I am classed as a "complex patient" by the GP and medical people so often they don't have the answers and don't know what to do with me which makes situations like this even more stressful.
    but thank you for everyone kind replies
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    Someone I know is allergic to one of the ingredients of the vaccine and has been told that if they want the vaccine, then they'll have to have it done in hospital so that if there are any severe side effects, it can be treated quickly. But this might depend on your area and the procedures they have for people who might be allergic.

Must be very stressful for you but hopefully your medical team will come up with something <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.