Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Taking time off uni

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So.

I'm in my second year of uni and my mental health's deteriorating rapidly. With what's been going on outside, I can't function anymore. I'm considering taking a 'Time Out' but I'm not sure how it will affect my academic progress.

What do you think?
Have you guys taken time off uni? How was it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey @lovemimoon i also struggled with my mental health in my second year at uni. I haven’t taken a year out as such but this last year I’ve done a placement year instead of being at uni, this was something I was always going to do it, but it has helped me so much. Although I’m still technically at uni and working it has helped me as it’s a lot less pressure I don’t have to worry about assignments and exams. Although I have to go back to uni next year I think having this placement year has helped me just take a break for a year. I know this probably isn’t much help as it’s not really the same as your situation. Does your uni have a well-being centre or someone you can talk to about it? X
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    edited May 2021
    Good morning, @Dandelion

Reading your experience, I'm happy that it has helped you out so much! <3

I've emailed my course leader and I researched my options on the uni site. They have a step-by-step guide so I'm currently waiting for a response. My uni has a centre for these types of situations so it's all good!
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    It’s good that you can get help with it. I know it’s probably a bit overwhelming at the minute trying to decide what to do. I hope you figure out what is best for you xx
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) It's more common than you think to take time off uni - I know quite a few people who've done it. Doesn't seem to have any negative impacts - though of course keep in mind that if you're taking a few months off your subject, you'll need to spend some time refreshing that info before you come back. And won't affect job chances either - you just apply for the next year's intake. Good to hear you've reached out to people at your uni - they can advise you best on your options and process if you want to take some time out! x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • beth_farrall110beth_farrall110 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hey, I can completely emphasise with the stresses uni can bring. This past year made it so difficult to connect with people in my course that a lot of the time just felt lonely. I definitely think it's healthy to take some time off, but I know that doing that can bring a lot of guilt because you feel as if you should be working your hardest all the time. But taking time to look after yourself is important!
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey! :heart:

I haven't done this personally, but a friend of mine did. For my friend, it was such a brilliant decision and she said she feels so much better for it. Like Azziman says, you might have to refresh your memory after taking some time away. For my friend she was in a much better headspace so this was fine for her to do, actually worked out better. Of course, everyone is different, so maybe weigh up whether you think you would be the same or whether this would be stressful to think about. Do what is right for you :heart:
    Thank you, everyone! <3

@coc0mac & @Azziman - Thank you for your responses! That is something I will keep in mind.

@beth_farrall110 -
    I definitely think it's healthy to take some time off, but I know that doing that can bring a lot of guilt because you feel as if you should be working your hardest all the time. But taking time to look after yourself is important!
    Thank you for pointing this out! That's something I've been worried about - Whilst I'm taking a break from uni, what exactly will I do? Considering that I'm doing an art course, I think I'll take the time to develop creative skills independently. What do you suggest?

• rainskyerainskye Posts: 130 The Mix Convert
    Hi there. I'm sorry to hear that things haven't been going too well for you recently.

Do you have contact with the well-being department at your university? I was able to receive a case manager who assisted me with my academic progress as well and was able to give me suggestions (e.g. taking time out). On the other hand, I'm wondering if you would be able to get in contact with your student support advisor and explain the situation and see what the options are in regards to taking some time out temporarily.

In my circumstance, I was able to get extensions on my deadlines and receive support from the well-being department which definitely helped a lot. It meant that I could focus on myself for a while, and not have the worry about my assignments.

Sending you support with your studies. You've got this!
    Hiya! Thank you for your insight @rainskye

I've spoken to my course leader and we agreed to wait it out for a while to see how I feel after I complete my assignment.