Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anxious about applying/accepting jobs

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
Hey.

So I'm enrolled in this workplace called Stint and it's for uni students.
To keep this short, I apply my availability input and Stint finds jobs in accordance with that. I used to love it - love going to work as soon as I got a ping.
But now I see a potential job and I'm scared shitless.

I'm scared that I'm going to fuck up. If I'm not worried about my performance, I'm worried about the travel time. I'm worried that I'm not going to get there on time.
If it's not punctuality then it's work. I'm currently a second year and the uni life has taken a huge toll on my mental health (that's for another forum).
The main thing I'm worried about is my commitment to these roles. I've had moments(?) where I have shown serious dedication to my roles, only for that drop to happen. And suddenly, I'm overwhelmed by everything and everyone, and existing just hurts.

I dunno, man.

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Aw hugs mimoon!

I don't have a lot to say but I do resenate with what you're talking about, the worry dedication is a big worry of mine too.

I do wish I had the words to solve it but I am trying to work on it myself and I know you got this x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Hey @lovemimoon

What you're saying makes total sense! I often get that too where I get super anxious about going to work, and it's for no apparent reason - I worry about being late though I never have been too. I think something that's helped me is to pick a part my worries. Like for example, if I was stressing about being late I'd think to myself "If I were late, what would happen?" and most of the time the answer is I would just call up to let them know and if worst comes to worst I'd say 10 mins after to make up time. You sound like a dedicated, punctual worker, and employers really appreciate that.

Is there anything you can think of that causes you to feel anxious about going to work? Perhaps starting there could be helpful :)
    Alis propriis volat 
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hi guys!

Thank you so much for your input!
    @Laine - Thank you so much! I've put off going to work (Doesn't affect anything, work-wise, but mentally it's taking a toll) because I'm overthinking about everything.

@Zen - Thank you so much! I've been thinking a lot about it and a big red flag are work employees? Don't get me wrong, the staff I've worked with are really nice but I guess, entering a new environment makes me really nervous. :/
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Hey @lovemimoon :)

It's great that you've been thinking about it. What do you think it is about the employees? It's totally okay to highlight them as something that's causing you stress - it sounds like you're very self-aware!

New environments can be scary, has there been anything in the past that has helped you when you've started a job somewhere unfamiliar?
    Alis propriis volat 
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hi @Zen

I believe it's less about the employees but more about what they'll make of me? It's obviously a one-off job but I would like to make a lasting impression.

Normally, I would talk to the employer about any concerns I've had. But now I feel like I'll make myself look stupid and useless. So yeah.