Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to make a wound heal faster? PTW

Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :)EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
edited April 2021 in Health & Wellbeing
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• natalie_bnatalie_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    *Trigger warning - this comment includes detailed medical information regarding wound care*

With wound care @LorryTruck, it is important to give them the time they need to heal, as there can be complications if you try to speed up the process using ill-advised methods.

I've found an article for you (popped in the spoiler) which gives a step by step guide to caring for your wounds. Heres the key steps:
    1. Keep wound clean (daily!). Gently wash the area with mild soap and water.
    2. To help healing, use petroleum jelly to keep the wound moist. Petroleum jelly prevents the wound from drying out and forming a scab; wounds with scabs take longer to heal. This will also help prevent a scar from getting too large, deep or itchy.
    3. Gently cover the skin with an adhesive bandage. For large scrapes, sores, burns or persistent redness, it may be helpful to use hydrogel or silicone gel sheets.
    4. Change your bandage daily to keep the wound clean while it heals. If you have skin that is sensitive to adhesives, try a non-adhesive gauze pad with paper tape.
    5. If your injury requires stitches, follow your doctor’s advice on how to care for the wound and when to get the stitches removed. (note that if you need stitches, please go to your doctor or nearest hospital)
    6. Apply sunscreen to the wound after it has healed. Sun protection may help reduce red or brown discoloration and help the scar fade faster.

I hope this helps @LorryTruck, and I hope everything is okay. We are here for you if you need support.
    I've also put a link to a great helpline if you need immediate information and help to do with injury. <3
    https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/injured-skin/burns/wound-care-minimize-scars

Self Injury Support
    https://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk
    Self Injury support offer support to women in emotional distress, and particularly to those who self-injure. Their UK-wide helpline is now open on Wednesdays from 7-9pm and Thursdays from 3-5pm.You can call them for confidential, non-judgemental emotional support around self injury on 0808 800 8088. they can also help you to find local support groups and services.
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    I'm glad it helped @LorryTruck. I would recommend going to see your doctor if healing takes a long time or if you have any issues (always better to be safe with things like that).
    It can definitely be scary going into school and having to do PE after something like that. Perhaps talking to a teacher or someone you trust at school could put your mind at ease a little?
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @LorryTruck sorry I don’t have any advice on healing wounds, but wanted to check in if you are ok? Do you want to talk about what’s been going on for you? If so we’re here to listen 💜
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Hey again @LorryTruck, I wanted to check in with you. I hope you are healing up okay.

No pressure to talk to us here, but I find a good place to start is the beginning or the end, for example what started making you feel this way, or how you feel right now (and maybe why). How are things at school? I want to listen and would love to hear how you are! <3
    Thats great news @LorryTruck!

School is a very stressful place, especially near summer during mocks and exams.
    Very glad to hear you're okay at the moment. I know how hard it is to avoid triggers at times and depending what it is it can hit you at the most random times. Mine is one particular song and unfortunately it is very popular. Whenever I hear it, I either take myself away and immerse myself in something else, or I break down why is it making me feel that way and remind myself that I am safe right now and loved. And you are loved <3
    It's okay to have a meltdown @LorryTruck, sometimes it's what we need to let the emotions out. Is there someone at school that you trust to help you through an emotional time?