Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

doctors

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
i remember i went to the doctors n i asked 4 medication because i noticed i was goin downhill n they refused, r they allowed to do tht. r some doctors competent then others?
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Ehh. It depends!

Some doctors may not prescribe medication as it's something that may be sorted out using over the counter medicine (paracetamol, ibuprofen, etc).
    Some may believe that there are other options that may be better suited for your medical issue.
    Some may not prescribe because the medical issue that you're presenting may not be severe enough to warrant medication? I have no idea what you're going through so I'm just listing off any possibilities.

If this is something that's been persistent for some time then I suggest you talk to your doctor and see what options are there for you. It may take some time but you'll get there. :3
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    Wat I mean is some doctors say no to giving u anti depressants wen u r on the verge of putting Urself to sleep
    Crazy mad insane
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    It might depend, they could clash with other meds ect from a medical standpoint.

Some certainly do refuse to prescribe them.
    At which point can you see another Dr who may prescribe you them?
    Sometimes a second opinion is good :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hi Ellie,
    You should ask why they refused you medication, and the. Seek a second opinion
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Hi @ellie2000

That makes sense.
    I'm aware that anti-depressants vary for everyone. Sometimes, it could be for the better, sometimes, the opposite.

I agree with what the others are saying!
    Ask why they refused medication and go through the options. Get a second opinion from another doctor. :)
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    This is a really important question @ellie2000 and as others have said there could be many reasons why doctors do not prescribe anti-depressants. Whilst I am no medical professional, I know that getting other opinions can be awesome. It's perfectly reasonable for you to want to understand why your doctor won't prescribe and if this doctor is not working for you, then you deserve the support that another doctor might be better-able to provide <3 I hope things get easier for you soon.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.