Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you want to know about the vaccine?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
The Mix is putting together a myth-busting video about the COVID-19 vaccination programme. As part of that process, we're reaching out to young people to ask what they want that video to cover. :)

What do you want to know?

Is there anything about the vaccine that worries you?

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I think it's just good to include info about what it does some common myths include

- It will give me covid
    - It changed our DNA
    - It will sterilize you
    - They're not safe because they were developed quickly
    - They have a chip in(my fav lol)
    - They have poisonous components

A concern for me, I've already had one dose of astra zenneca and now all these countries stopping them under 60 is not giving me hope in terms of blood clots 😬😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    All this stuff about the Astra zenneca one causing blood clots is a bit Anxiety provoking. I think reassurance around that.. I'm due my second dose in a couple weeks. More anxious for that than the first one
  • Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    I'd like to know more about the different vaccines and if they all do the same job or if one is better than the others. Also if we have to have them again, would we need to make sure we had the same version?
    Good one Emma! Cause at the moment I'm really wishing I bagged pfizer

And really wishing I don't have to keep having astra loll

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I think all these suggestions are fab!

I think it would be good to talk about what they do as well; that is, reduce your chance of being hospitalised with the symptoms. I think some people mistake it for making you immune, so you can live life as normal straight away after having it, and I think it's important to make that clear! :heart:
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    I want to know what is going to happen about vaccine passports because they can be quite discriminatory against people who are unable to be vaccinated such as under 16's and there can also be stigma. Will under 16's ever be vaccinated?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    edited April 2021
    Dancer wrote: »
    I want to know what is going to happen about vaccine passports because they can be quite discriminatory against people who are unable to be vaccinated such as under 16's and there can also be stigma. Will under 16's ever be vaccinated?

Don't think the government know that yet themselves
    Good question though
    Dancer wrote: »

It is possible, as for vaccination. Pfizer have done trials in 16s and under and the results are coming back good :)

The passports are quite flawed especially for the healthy 20 year olds who will be way down the line

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I think this is an awesome idea!! Some great suggestions already :) I think it would also be important to add in some points about why people from certain races and/or cultures and ethnicities might be more distrusting of the vaccine. I think this is entirely reasonable, given how some groups have been harmed by medicine in the past (and currently). There is a lot of stigma about anti-vaxxers and whilst I cannot wait to get the vaccine, I think we cannot paint all anti-vaxxers with same brush, especially when some people's worries are founded upon legitimate experiences of medical racism and exploitation.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    What's happening with all the under 30s who have had their first Oxford dose already.. do we go for the second?

As I've seen today they are stopping that inject for under, 30s due to blot clot incidents coming forward.
    So where do we stand if we are under 30, had a dose of Oxford one already?
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    GreenTea wrote: »
    What's happening with all the under 30s who have had their first Oxford dose already.. do we go for the second?

As I've seen today they are stopping that inject for under, 30s due to blot clot incidents coming forward.
    So where do we stand if we are under 30, had a dose of Oxford one already?

Good question because I'm in the same situation. I heard they might be giving us the new one instead - again another new one which may present multiple issues. Tbh I'm quite happy with the astrazeneca. We're more likely to get blood clots by being a woman than from the astrazeneca vaccine - literally.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    I assume we would get a second,
    Under 30s who are healthy are being offered a different alternative as the risks of the vaccine and covid is pretty balanced.

Those under 30 with health conditions can still be considered because the benefits outweigh the risks

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

Found more info.
    "People who have had their first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine should still get their second dose, the MHRA said. Only those who suffered one of these rare blood clots after the first dose should not get vaccinated, he added."

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

How long do you have to wait from your first vaccine dose before getting your 2nd vaccine dose? This is actually something that my mum is curious about because she had her vaccination about 5 weeks ago and she got offered an appointment for this afternoon but she turned it down.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    Anywhere between 6 to 12 weeks is the suggested.
    That's what I was told when I had mine.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I was wondering that about under 30s and the second dose as well my partner has had the AZ vaccine and he’s 18 so I was wondering if he would get his second. Thanks @Laine for info :)

I think it’s important to know that the risk of blood clots with the AZ vaccine is still pretty low (things like the pill carry a much higher risk of blood clots) I can imagine there’s going to be a lot of scaremongering out there and misinformation so I think this would be an important thing to cover :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    GreenTea wrote: »
    Anywhere between 6 to 12 weeks is the suggested.
    That's what I was told when I had mine.

Thank you
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I'm getting mine just over a month later
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`