Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thinking about smoking/vaping

WillowWillow Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
It has been plaguing my mind for a while. I tried a variety of coping mechanisms for a very long time now and none of its working.

So I read a few articles (I know off to a stupid start already) and I read that smoking cigarettes can induce more anxiety and make you more stressed. Okay however vaping because it doesn't contain all the properties nicotine has and you can change the dosages of what you are inhaling it can actually relive stress. 

Now i know it's an article and it's reliability isn't probably great. However I am willing to try anything if I can stop feeling like this 24/7. Oh and I know it can damage my body but I really couldn't care less. 

Anyone else who vapes thinks it helps? 

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I don’t smoke or vape myself, but I have several friends who do and many of them say it helps to relieve their anxiety. Someone I know actually quit smoking for a long time but started again because they were feeling very anxious without it. Obviously it has other harmful effects but I think a lot of people do it to relieve stress. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • natalie_bnatalie_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    hey @Willow, I don't smoke regularly, but I have tried smoking and vaping in a social setting. I find it makes me feel less calm personally, though I know it affects everyone differently. 

I found an interesting article on vaping which I'll link in the spoiler, but I also found a scientific study on anxiety and smoking (its quite a difficult read as its very long) but I thought this was a good takeaway from the main findings:

"Anxiety was associated most strongly with current smokers, followed by former-smokers and then never-smokers". I took this to suggest that from all three groups current smokers experience more anxiety. Of course this doesn't mean this is the case for everyone, but just something to think about! I also don't know whether this is due purely to nicotine, so am unsure whether it would be the same in people who vape.

I couldn't find much scientific research on your exact question but I'd definitely suggest doing as much research yourself as you can before you try it! 

Hope this helps a little! <3 
  • WillowWillow Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
    Thanks for the advice and articles @independent_ and @natalie_b.

I been considering it because I find alcohol too much to go through. I have to drink a lot just to feel anything or to feel different and I am not a big liquid consumer so its just very annoying. The problem I got is that the guy I am seeing smokes and I don't want to feel like I am copying or he's influenced me in anyway. Cause he's not. It something I been considering for a few years but cause I live at home I would be scolded by my mother if she ever found out.

I just want a coping mechanism that isn't too much hassle and lighting a fag or vaping seems very simple as opose to alcohol, therapy, pills etc