Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Maths

_Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys is there any maths geniuses in here if so any tips on how to become better at maths ?I just feel like I’m rubbish at it and I want to be good at it 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    Hey! I’m not sure if I’d class myself as a maths genius but I’m doing pretty well with my maths alevel. A lot of maths comes quite easily to me so I might not be the best to give you advice here but I’d say repetition of skills and doing loads of questions is good. When you continuously use the same skills over and over in different questions it helps to instill the knowledge needed for that skill. As well, learn any formulas/equations you might need, if you know them off by heart it makes it way easier. Just break it down into small steps and work your way through what you have to do and over time it will become easier! Good luck!! 
    “I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
    I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Thankyouu! @Starlight I am Entry level 3 
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey, I’m not a maths genius lol but I did take it for A- level. What are you struggling with? I find for maths I tend to learn by doing questions. I would look at an example and then do loads of questions until I understood it. 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    The trick is to do questions and practice every day. Being able to do maths, either quickly or with tough questions, takes a lot of practice. There are apps that help you with quick arithmetic, and those can really help you get up to speed. Or, if it's a case of understanding certain things (e.g. integration), make sure you spend a lot of time on unpicking and understand how it works - then the solution becomes much more clear :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @Emoji246

Maths was the subject I struggled with too - much more of a creative minded gal! 

What helped me the most was practicing exam questions. You can find mock papers online, or you could even ask your teacher to set you some practice questions too for you to do at your leisure. I'm not sure what exam board you are on, but I did edexcel maths and there was a guy on YouTube who would work through edexcel past papers! Question by question he would show you how you'd work it out, how you'd get to the correct answer, and common mistakes that people make. I found that incredibly helpful, so may be worth looking on YouTube to see if there's anyone who does the same for your exam board! :heart:
  • fabulashfabulash Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    Hello!

I was someone who was really awful at maths though - admittedly I am still the same and am applying it to my current degree but I can admit, when I have seen exact ways of applying the maths, I have found it easier to understand.
    I would say that first and foremost, spending a lot of time with the tutors and teachers is important - this is really key to understanding the topics and ideas, and more one-to-one sessions will allow that. During my first few years during my undergraduate degree, I also struggled a lot with the maths that was tied with my degree - however, I spent some time aside with a few tutors just for that extra boost and those sessions where you are with someone and their attention is solely on attempting to make you understand really helps. I admit during GCSE I really did not try, but maths later on, considering it became one key aspect, it was more understanding when I had someone to work through things with me. I still struggle now, don't get me wrong, but I always found that when I have a worry or problem, talking about it and finding the solution with someone made it better. YouTube definitely helps in this sense, as I find that sometimes school can overcomplicate things when they are straightforward! I also think that having past papers on hand is good - but don't rely on them completely - this will make you just focus on those answers and may restrict your application in real exams. I think they are a key tool for some people, and they are great once you have understood the topic and want to apply, but to solely rely on them isn't that useful - but it definitely depends on your learning style too! Are you a certain type of learner, a visual learner, or audio learner?

Practice does make perfect, and it may take some time but you'll always grow and develop into maths! :smile:
    "I finally realised so I love me, not so perfect but so beautiful. I'm the one I should love."
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Like others have said lots and lots of repetition. What helped me in both my GCSE and A level was that we finished the syllabus super early so we just ended up doing practice papers twice a week. If you do that you'll get to see where your weaknesses are and can target them more effectively. You'll also get to see how difficulty can change on what would be an easy topic normally so you won't be surprised when it comes time for an exam.

The second piece of advice is one that might be a lot harder to follow. Try to enjoy it! :D In my experience I always did poorly in the modules I didn't enjoy. Like stats! Screw stats!
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Thankyouu everyone 💖💖