Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Terrified of failing university

spatialsound13spatialsound13 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm an undergrad chemistry student currently redoing the second year of my course, and I'm worried that I've already messed up my chances of passing the year.

For context, when I started back in 2018 I struggled immediately; I was living with 12 other people which was a nightmare for a socially anxious person like me, I ended up shutting myself away in my room and barely interacting with my flatmates and coursemates, to the point where I've ended up with only a couple of friends who I knew from secondary school. This has not helped the academic side of things, which rapidly went downhill too; from being a 'star student' back in KS3/4 to not getting as good A-level results as I'd have wanted to just scraping a pass in first year of uni. In fact, I did so badly on the end-of-year tests last summer (exams were unassessed due to covid) that I decided to redo second year rather than taking the free pass into third, as I felt I'd struggle even more.

This year the structure has changed so that we're examined on the first half of the material in January, and the second half in June, with the credits split between these two semesters, in a similar way to how AS/A-levels used to work. I've had all but one exam so far (the last one is on the 22nd) and I've done utterly abysmally. I just cannot seem to understand and apply the material to the degree that's expected, even on my second try at learning it.

What terrifies me is that this is really my last chance, if I don't manage to pass this year then I really cannot justify retaking it again, which leaves me no option but to drop out of the course. I can't stand the prospect of it, firstly because I have no idea what else I could do; since GCSEs my only goal has been to pass this degree. My parents keep reassuring me that there are 'other options', but have never actually explained what these options are, so it really seems like if I drop out then that's the end of any possibility of doing something I actually enjoy. Furthermore, while I have struggled with living away from family, there are still parts of it I enjoy, and since I still have a couple of friends in that city, leaving university would eliminate any chance of me seeing them again even semi-regularly.

I don't even know what the problem is. I'm perfectly aware that I need to do something, but I just don't know how I can turn things around and actually understand the course material.

Tl;dr I've struggled ever since starting university and I'm terrified that I've already screwed up my last chance to turn things around.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Hey! I know it probably won't help me coming in and saying that I'm going through the same. But hopefully you'll know you're not alone. 

I'm currently passing all my classes which is fine. But I'm gonna need to up my work ethic to get accepted to honours. 

I'm currently sitting with a C3 in my main class. I need an average of essentially a B3 so yeah not great. 

I've already been told I can't do single honours in the class I was considering taking as a double honour (I wasn't planning to do single in this class anyway but having it ruled out definitely sucks). That class requires a B in each semester but the way the maths calculated my overall grade meant I got a C1 instead of being rounded up to a B3. Frustrating. 

I guess it just helps to know that other people are going through the same things, and even though others may seem like they know everything, they could be struggling too. 

Honestly keep working hard, you can do this <3 

I know it's difficult but a little extra effort will go a long way - from tonight I'm making SURE that I get into honours. Let's do this!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    flourishing_catflourishing_cat Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hey, honestly you're doing better than you think, so many people worry about failing uni but it ends up turning out absolutely fine and they nearly always do better than expected. The fact that you're still there and doing uni even though you're struggling is amazing in itself. Do let me know if there are any study tips for any specific part of learning that you wanna have - I didn't do science but my course was actually kind of similar to a science in some ways, so may be able to help! But for now, just remember  your module convenors, lecturers and department staff are there for you even if you're not seeing them in person, and it's totally okay to tell them you're struggling and need help. You've got this! <3
  • Options
    Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Hey,  I can really relate to being on the verge of failing uni. I was in the same predicament last year. My uni forgot to put my final resit on my exam timetable and when they eventually realised their fault, I was given the opportunity to sit it in the next semester but THEN covid hit and I had to do it at home and passed lol.

Chemistry sounds brutal and sounds like you've been really trying. I don't doubt for a second that you're not able to do it, there might be somethings that you need more help on and a different approach in learning ;) 

I wanted to ask a few questions, 

How do you study and how best do you learn?

Do you ask for help?