Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to not impulsively buying video games?

SneakylilmochaSneakylilmocha Posts: 177 Helping Hand
I don't have anything to vent right now. I need help but also curious what you guys think anyways.
So my college program is starting next week, and I will go to my grandma's home to celebrate chinese new year there around february. I planned to bring my switch with me and that's why I want a new video game but I don't know if it worth buying or fun for me. 
So I asked to my parents and my cousin whenever I should buy it or not. Later, all of them said I need to save money than buying it because I might be move to malaysia to study abroad someday, but they said it is up to me because I already have my own money  I'm also worried if I buy it, I can be too addicted to video games and having bad impacts on life.

I know I read some articles about this, but I'm curious, how often should I buy video games? And is there any tips to prevent myself from buying things and video games impulsively?
"Grow from the dirt they left you in."

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Sneakylilmocha ! :) Personally i'd say that If you want the game, if you can afford it and if it'll bring you joy... then buy it.

Perhaps you could put a certain amount of money away into savings every so often and keep a little to the side so that you can buy little things like games for your switch etc. 

It's good to save but it's also good to treat ourselves every once in a while.

I hope you enjoy celebrating Chinese new year with grandma! 
  • SneakylilmochaSneakylilmocha Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    Thank you @Liam

I bought it just now, it's pretty expensive so I got excited yet I'm feel bad about my money after that.

About that, my money isn't much since I earned it from my job, but I'll try my best to resist from buying things to save money though, turns out I shouldn't underestimate that I can save money easily. :confounded:
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    I agree with the advice that you've already been given, but I just wanted to add that if some games are expensive, would you be willing to wait a while to see if it goes on sale or the price drops a bit? I feel bad spending money on myself (I rarely do) but always feel a bit better if I know that I didn't pay full price for it. Try not to feel so bad about it though- I do feel that games have got more expensive over the years as well, so that doesn't help, but it's understandable that you'd want to occasionally treat yourself!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Hi @Maisy!

Well, I do search cheaper ones most of the time, I can agree with you and I can relate about that. This don't happen often, but when there's something that I really want  I get excited about thinking the one I want so I hardly resist to buy the something that I really want to buy. There are also times that I feel uncomfortable after I spend my money and buy the things I want. I agree that some games can be more expensive over the years as well!
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Put them in the basket, then leave it for 2 weeks, and only get them if you still want afterwards. Sometimes we get more excited over the idea of having a game, than the actual game itself. So give yourself some time to calm down, before you think about whether you actually want it, or just excited about it. I'd always have a think about whether you'll actually have time to play it, friends to play with etc. 

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    edited January 2021
    Thanks @Azziman! I'm late and not sure what to reply, I just want to say that's really a good idea to test my patience. Tbh, two weeks is really a long time so I'll try to think it first and be patient about it when waiting it for two weeks, I'll try my best! :heart:
  • ConnorConnor Deactivated Posts: 508 Incredible Poster
    There's already a tonne of good advice here from everyone, my friend limits herself on buying games too!

She has a tonne of games in her backlog, but recently she's begun putting an allowance on the amount of games she can buy each month and this seems to help! When it comes to singleplayer games, she makes sure to finish the game she's bought before buying a new one too, and small things like this seem to help her backlog shrink a bit :) 

I'm trying to manage this myself, as my steam library is full of games i just haven't played. It's them cursed steam sales! I hope this adds to the good advice already in this thread :D