Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should we focus on the issues of the world more?

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
edited November 2020 in Politics & Debate
Ok so I don’t know about you but for me the news and everything that’s happening has been getting me down lately. So what should we do? Do we still here and focus on the world still or do we find ways to distract ourselves now and then?

I am by no means saying we should ignore the events that are taking place but sometimes don’t we need to take time out?

so the reason I ask this, is because I saw a post on social media saying “people can’t agree on this simple maths question.” Which was 
6÷2(1+2)
So people have been commenting on it with different answers and then a comment caught me eye

“If this is all people have got to discuss, focusing on silly things when the world is in the state it’s in we are DOOMED who really cares if it’s 1 or 9 or even 0 I just wish people would spend as much time focusing on what’s really going on and not trivial crap like this”

so I couldn’t resist at replying (yeah I know I probably shouldn’t have said anything 😂)

whats wrong with this? Beats mopping about covid 24/7. The world is full of negativity, if something like this is giving someone something to do then whats the harm?

So we went on a debate

in my opinion I think activities such as this can really help people feel better rather than constantly dwelling on the negativity. I also said about people finding ways to cope with their mental health with activities such as this or listening to music, watching a film etc.

in her opinion (she is a RMN) things such as this are distracting people from the real world and that music and films are full of subliminal messages, again distracting us from what really matters and that people should learn to cope not mope.

but I don’t see how we can learn to cope when we focus on what is happening in the world 24/7 
again I’m not saying we shouldn’t pay attention but is it healthy to constantly think about it for the sake of taking 10 minutes out of our day to do something (like this maths question) 

so I want to know what your options are, please do not argue as everyone is entitled to their own opinion 
Post edited by One-in-a-million on

Comments

• Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Of course we need to have distractions from the world. People find this in many ways - social media, shows, reading etc. 

However I do feel some people totally block out everything - stop watching the news and ignore everything. 

It's important to know what's going on in the world and actively try to do something about it (global warming for example). With covid you need to keep up as everything changes so quickly - lockdowns, tiers etc daily numbers. 

So I think it's important to find a balance - educate yourself and then do the self care, don't just ignore things because it might trigger you. (there's some things you can avoid - going to a certain place etc) but I think when it comes to real life, worldwide issues that blocking these issues out is contributing to the problem. 

So by all means, have the silly things in life and what nots but remember the world will be here long after we are and it's important we look after it for generations to come, otherwise our children and grandchildren won't have a safe place to live in. 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    @Anch0r33

definitely it’s about finding a balance, like I say the world is important and we should look at what is happening around us because like you say blocking it out completely isn’t going to help. But we should tale just a few minutes out to focus on ourselves and do something to make us happy too :)
  • Kesh260807Kesh260807 Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
    i agree the media is defientley to steroytipical and we arent told what is going on else ware and it can be annoying at times because it can seem that they only want to make england great and alll the other developing countryes not so great i feel like we should have mpre awarenewss of what is happening aroiund the world as it is unfair while most of england are living a safe life (in terms of war free) but other countries are in war and we arent aware and there is so much as a country we can do but we cant becuase the media isnt telling us

diclaimer 
    sorry if i upset anyone while saying this i didnt want too upset anyone i am just giving out my veiw on this based on what i have studieded in GCSE media and core rs if there are any mistakes please dont be afraid to tell me as i am still learning and have only started my GCSE courses this year many thanks 
    diana
    You are loved and you are amazing
    i agree the media is defientley to steroytipical and we arent told what is going on else ware and it can be annoying at times because it can seem that they only want to make england great and alll the other developing countryes not so great i feel like we should have mpre awarenewss of what is happening aroiund the world as it is unfair while most of england are living a safe life (in terms of war free) but other countries are in war and we arent aware and there is so much as a country we can do but we cant becuase the media isnt telling us

diclaimer 
    sorry if i upset anyone while saying this i didnt want too upset anyone i am just giving out my veiw on this based on what i have studieded in GCSE media and core rs if there are any mistakes please dont be afraid to tell me as i am still learning and have only started my GCSE courses this year many thanks 
    diana
    just also wanted to say that we all do need a break from social media sometimes as it can be overwhelming just on a note becarefull of fake news 
  • phoebe_phoebe_ Deactivated Posts: 17 Settling in
    I agree with @Kesh260807. While it's important to keep up to date with what's going on in the world, sometimes the media - both social and mainstream - can feel a little overwhelming, especially amidst a global pandemic! 

Why not try taking a break from both if you can over the holiday season. Start with a few hours and then perhaps see if you can go a whole day without it - a digital detox!

Then check back in here to update us on how it's gone. It'd be great to hear if it was beneficial, and if it was, perhaps it's something you could schedule in every week/month for a little self-care :)

phoebe_ said:
    I agree with @Kesh260807. While it's important to keep up to date with what's going on in the world, sometimes the media - both social and mainstream - can feel a little overwhelming, especially amidst a global pandemic! 

Why not try taking a break from both if you can over the holiday season. Start with a few hours and then perhaps see if you can go a whole day without it - a digital detox!

Then check back in here to update us on how it's gone. It'd be great to hear if it was beneficial, and if it was, perhaps it's something you could schedule in every week/month for a little self-care :)

I don’t really use social media much tbh I didn’t have any till recently as well it’s is really a scary place 
  • boaboa Moderator, Staff Posts: 29 Boards Initiate

Media strongly influence what people are talking and thinking about. For me, it is important sometimes to turn my attention away from following the media and search and for things that deeply interest me but may be a bit more hard to find and digest.

• tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    I think the media is really pushing stuff.
    Negative news sells and often things are put out worse that could be.
    It's hard to break away from it.
    Politics is especially divisive these days too. 

Looking at memes can be fun though haha
    It's important to though keep up to date to some extent and look at the science with covid and such I think. But it's important to focus on the things you can change locally and with yourself etc.