Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First set of Mocks

AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi, 

I am just looking for some advice for my first mock proper mock exams (year 10 ones) and was wondering if anyone here could help.

So far my family have pushed for one of those speed writing tests and this has got me extra time and a computer in my exams however there are quite a few things about these mocks that I am worried and not sure on I will list a few and why I am finding it hard. They are: 

- Revising tactics. ( School don't see to give you like any)
- How to actually go about the paper, where to start etc. 
- What to do during the moments of revision stress and if anxiety plays up during the exam. 

If you are able to help thank you in advance I really appreciate you coming out of your way to help.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi Anne. The best piece of advice someone gave me was to break it down into easy manageable chunks , do 15 minutes of studying and then take a break go for a walk or make  a cup of tea. For me I normally study and revise by doing loads of past papers.

Different things work for different people, before my GCSEs our teacher showed us a video about different learning styles and figuring out which you are (I’m not sure if I can link it here but I might be able to pm it you if you’d like).

As for approaching the paper a teacher might be able to help you with that. Personally for subjects like English I always did the big essays first. I found it helpful to get them out of the way, 

When I found myself getting anxious I’d take a nice long break or talked to someone I trust about how I was feeling.

Sorry I talked about myself a lot. I wish you the best of luck. And remember just do your best and don’t forget we’re always here if you need anything.   :)

• Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Hey @AnneFrypan I'm not sure if this will help but I did a post about study tips which will give you some ideas faster. I'll link it below 

https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3597560/drop-your-studying-tips#latest

It's all about finding what's right for you, so if something doesn't work don't be discouraged. 

I can't comment much about UK school testing as I spent my last two years of high school abroad so can't remember too well. 

Another thing is don't try and pull all nighters because you'll mess your sleeping pattern up for so long and you'll be exhausted. 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    Hi Anne. The best piece of advice someone gave me was to break it down into easy manageable chunks , do 15 minutes of studying and then take a break go for a walk or make  a cup of tea. For me I normally study and revise by doing loads of past papers.

Different things work for different people, before my GCSEs our teacher showed us a video about different learning styles and figuring out which you are (I’m not sure if I can link it here but I might be able to pm it you if you’d like).

As for approaching the paper a teacher might be able to help you with that. Personally for subjects like English I always did the big essays first. I found it helpful to get them out of the way, 

When I found myself getting anxious I’d take a nice long break or talked to someone I trust about how I was feeling.

Sorry I talked about myself a lot. I wish you the best of luck. And remember just do your best and don’t forget we’re always here if you need anything.   :)

Thank you very much for your advice, my friend. <3

I am interested in the "our teacher showed us a video about different learning styles and figuring out which you are" and if you could PM me that I would be grateful. Thanks again pal.
    Anch0r33 said:
    Hey @AnneFrypan I'm not sure if this will help but I did a post about study tips which will give you some ideas faster. I'll link it below 

https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3597560/drop-your-studying-tips#latest

It's all about finding what's right for you, so if something doesn't work don't be discouraged. 

I can't comment much about UK school testing as I spent my last two years of high school abroad so can't remember too well. 

Another thing is don't try and pull all nighters because you'll mess your sleeping pattern up for so long and you'll be exhausted. 
    Thank you, buddy, I appreciate the help. I will be having a look over that post as anything that's gonna possibly help is a big step for me. As for the sleep schedule, I think mines already messed up and I feel my brain functions best in the early hours of the morning.
  • phoebe_phoebe_ Deactivated Posts: 17 Settling in
    I can vouch for @SpaceOtter's suggestion about understanding what kind of learner you are to help with your revision.  

I'm an auditory learner which means I find listening/hearing instructions most effective. Once I discovered this, I worked out a revision technique that worked well for me during my studies; I recorded myself talking through my notes and listened back when walking or travelling someplace. I still use this technique now when preparing for job interviews!

Here is an online self-assessment that might be useful for you too: http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml - although SpaceOtter might have some other useful links :) 

Hopefully this helps you find what works best for your revision - good luck!
    phoebe_ said:
    I can vouch for @SpaceOtter's suggestion about understanding what kind of learner you are to help with your revision.  

I'm an auditory learner which means I find listening/hearing instructions most effective. Once I discovered this, I worked out a revision technique that worked well for me during my studies; I recorded myself talking through my notes and listened back when walking or travelling someplace. I still use this technique now when preparing for job interviews!

Here is an online self-assessment that might be useful for you too: http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml - although SpaceOtter might have some other useful links :) 

Hopefully this helps you find what works best for your revision - good luck!
    Thank you very much for the link it is appreciated very much! <3