Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Types of Care - Liam & Anchor

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
edited March 27 in Home, Law & Money

There are many different types of Care Experience. It can be a little confusing to navigate, so @Liam and I decided we wanted to create a post which details the different types of care experience.

Kinship Care – Kinship care is when you live with someone that you know who are not your parents - this can be blood or non-blood relatives or a family friend. Kinship care can be very confusing and knowing what you fall under is determined by the criteria below.

Looked after by the local authority in kinship care – being looked after by the local authority in kinship care means that social work have placed you there. You will have one of the following –

·        A compulsory supervision order (CSO)

·        A permanence order or,

·        Be subject to a section 25

Depending on the age you come off one of these orders, you should be entitled to care leavers rights.

Formal Kinship Care – Formal kinship care means that you have had no social work involvement however there is a formal order in place from the court. This order is usually an S11 and means the carer has parental responsibility and means this placement is secure. This type of arrangement is usually private between the parents and the carer and the parent voluntarily gives their parental responsibility to the carer.

Informal Kinship Care – Informal kinship care means you have had no social work involvement and there are no orders in place. This means you are not classed as looked after and you do not qualify as a care leaver.

Important to note – It is entirely possible to fall into multiple of these categories. If this is the case you should contact your social worker (if you have one), talk to a lawyer if you have any questions or ask your parent/carer for more information regarding your specific case. Often if you fall into multiple of these you will only be classed as one so it is important to know what you’re entitled to. This is judged on a case by case basis so make sure you find out as soon as you can.

Foster Care – Foster care is when a child or young person goes to live in a carer’s home because they can no longer live with their own family. Moving into foster care is basically like going to live with another family, they will have their own set rules which you will have to follow. Foster care can be temporary where the young person will move back home when their family are ready to take care of them again or it can be long term where the young person will stay with their foster carers until they reach care leavers age. There are different types of foster care

Emergency foster care : Is when a younger person needs safe housing at short notice. The young person will be moved to emergency foster care whilst a social worker assesses their situation at home and decides the which steps are best to take next. Emergency foster care is the same as other foster care placements however the young person will only stay for a few days or even only a few hours.

Short term foster care: Is when a young person moves to foster care on a temporary basis. For example, if the young person's parent has fallen poorly, the young person will be given a short-term foster placement where they can be looked after whilst their parent gets better. Short term foster placements can turn into long term placements or even adoption however the young person is eventually able to go back to their birth family.

Long term foster care: Is when a young person is unable to return to their birth family for whatever reason. They will live in their foster placement until they age out of the care system.

Respite Foster Care – Respite care is short term care for children and young people when their regular carer may need a break. People who go into respite care are often already in another form of care, for example being looked after at home or in kinship care with an elderly relative, or where the child or young person is disabled and the parent/carer needs some time off. A respite placement is a short term foster placement that is often the same family throughout the time that a child or young person needs respite care (although this is not always the case).

Private Fostering – Private Fostering is when someone who is not an immediate relative or a friend of the child/child’s family is looking after a child for more than 28 days. This is done without social work involvement. It can be extended family for example a great aunt or a cousin (but not an aunt). The local authority must be informed if a child is staying with someone for over 28 days as they need to ensure the placement is safe and suitable for the child. A social worker will be sent within a week to ensure the home is safe for the child and will ensure the plans for the child staying there are fully agreed and understood by both the parents and the carer. This is to avoid a situation where a carer is looking after a child longer than expected or a carer believing they were caring for the child longer term than the parents thought.

Residential Care – Residential care is basically a big house where a set amount of young people live. Young people who live in residential care are usually, for whatever reason, uncomfortable with foster care. Residential care is good for young people who prefer not to have a ‘family environment’ and would instead like to live around other young folk. Residential care homes are always monitored by staff members who do not live in the home but work set shifts. A young person who lives in resi will also have a key worker who they can talk to about their issues. The key worker will go to the young persons parents evenings and  doctors appointments etc, etc. The YP will often have meetings with their key worker just to check in to see how they’re getting on. In residential care you will have your own bed room, a shared kitchen and lounge and a laundry room. There is usually an office too, where the staff can be found. Every residential care home has their own set rules, these are usually written and put somewhere for you to be able to see and young people will often have meetings to discuss the rules and anything they’d like to change.

Adoption – Adoption is when a young person is unable to go and live back home with their birth parents. Adoption is where a new permanent family is found for the young person. When a person is adopted the adopters become the child or young person's legal parents and have the same rights and responsibilities as if the child was born to them.

Secure Care Homes – Secure care homes are for children who are a risk to themselves or to others and no other placement is suitable to keep them safe. This can be due to self-harming or running away potentially. It can also be for children and young people who are remanded to custody or serving a custodial sentence. This type of placement provides the care, education and support needs for every person. Mostly people in this placement are very vulnerable and have complex needs.

Looked After At Home – Children and young people become looked after at home when the children’s hearing determines that a supervision order is necessary however the conditions of where the child should live are not specified. This means the child or young person may live at home with their parents however social services will continue to monitor the situation closely. This situation could occur before intervention is needed to prevent the child going into another form of care or it could occur when a child is returning home from another form of care and it ensures the child remains safe.

Semi-independent Care – Semi-independent care (sometimes known as independent living) is for young people aged 16-18 years old. This is where young people in care can prepare for life after care. They will still be supported by care workers however will learn the vital skills, like cooking, cleaning and bills before they transition into adulthood. Semi-independent care will bridge the gaps that care leavers may be left with after leaving care.

Care Leavers – Care leavers are adults who have left care. They have to have spent time in care since they were 14 years old and must have been in care on or after their 16th birthday. There is a wide range of support for care leavers including financial support and living support (plus more). Usually young people leave care at the age of 18, however some young people are now able to stay in their placements until they turn 21.

(_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    This an amazing and extremely informative post anchor and @Liam . Thank you so much for sharing  <3
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    This is really useful guys thank you I didn’t know a lot of these x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    This is a helpful post Thankyou for sharing ❤️
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    This was really useful! I learnt a lot. Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together, a brilliant resource! :heart:
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,612 Legendary Poster
    This was really really interesting and helped me to understand the different types of care, I know many young people who are or have been in care or adopted so I’m glad to be able to understand all of these now <3 well done this post is excellent!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,780 Master Poster
    Thank you for making this discussion. It was very helpful to understand all the different types of care. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,304 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2021
    This is so insightful! Learned a lot reading - great work you two.

I've pinned this as a resource - hope that's okay. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Perfect thanks @Mike glad you like it! 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    I just wanted to bump this again so it goes to top of recent discussions - I know it's pinned but we've got a lot of new members so hopefully it will be of use to them too!

I believe I'm currently the only care experienced person on the boards now and I'm definitely keen to get more.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    Is it okay to want to be put back into the care system if you're adaopted. I want to be put back into the system because I was adopted at the age of two and my adoptive parents are really emotionally abusive. But at the same time by wanting that i'm not really showing gratitude and everyone around me thinks i should be grateful but how can i when my home is literally no better than a roof over my head.
    @charlieboyz yes it's absolutely okay to want to go back into the care system after a break down in relationships.

Do you have a social worker anymore? If not it might be worthwhile reaching out to social services to express your concerns, or a trusted teacher/adult in your life.

Any sort of abuse isn't okay so don't be afraid to reach out.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    I only have a social worker now cause i involved them after i realised that what my real brother was doing was sexual abuse. But cause hes younger and there was no evidence except scars, they didnt believe me. My parents meanwhile were abusing me and i didn't realise until year 7. :'( my social worker tells me im safe and says they cant put me into care again.
    @charlieboyz some social workers are dreadful, I don't like shit talking on here as I don't want to put people off contacting if they really need help but can you get an advocate??

I'm gonna tag you in another post on here with some more support
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • hastings1066hastings1066 Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    I started off in short term foster care, I am now in long term. I am not sure what my foster family are going to do when they find out that I am expecting there sons baby.
  • Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,950 Community Veteran
    Thank you for posting this information as I know a bit more about the foster and care system more.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • BensonEBensonE Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Anch0r33 wrote: »
    There are many different types of Care Experience. It can be
    a little confusing to navigate, so @Liam and I decided we wanted to create a post which
    details the different types of care experience.

Kinship Care – Kinship care is when you live
    with someone that you know who are not your parents - this can be blood
    or non-blood relatives or a family friend. Kinship care can be very confusing
    and knowing what you fall under is determined by the criteria below.

Looked after by the local authority in kinship care – being
    looked after by the local authority in kinship care means that social work have
    placed you there. You will have one of the following –

·       
    A compulsory supervision order (CSO)

·       
    A permanence order or,

·       
    Be subject to a section 25

Depending on the age you come off one of these orders, you
    should be entitled to care leavers rights.

Formal Kinship Care – Formal kinship care means that
    you have had no social work involvement however there is a formal order in
    place from the court. This order is usually an S11 and means the carer has
    parental responsibility and means this placement is secure. This type of
    arrangement is usually private between the parents and the carer and the parent
    voluntarily gives their parental responsibility to the carer.

Informal Kinship Care – Informal kinship care means
    you have had no social work involvement and there are no orders in place. This
    means you are not classed as looked after and you do not qualify as a care
    leaver.

Important to note – It is entirely possible to fall
    into multiple of these categories. If this is the case you should contact your
    social worker (if you have one), talk to a lawyer if you have any questions or
    ask your parent/carer for more information regarding your specific case. Often
    if you fall into multiple of these you will only be classed as one so it is
    important to know what you’re entitled to. This is judged on a case by case
    basis so make sure you find out as soon as you can.

Foster Care – Foster care is when a child or
    young person goes to live in a carer’s home because they can no longer live with
    their own family. Moving into foster care is basically like going to live with
    another family, they will have their own set rules which you will have to
    follow. Foster care can be temporary where the young person will move back home
    when their family are ready to take care of them again or it can be long term
    where the young person will stay with their foster carers until they reach care
    leavers age. There are different types of foster care

Emergency foster care : Is when a younger person
    needs safe housing at short notice. The young person will be moved to emergency
    foster care whilst a social worker assesses their situation at home and decides
    the which steps are best to take next. Emergency foster care is the same as
    other foster care placements however the young person will only stay for a few
    days or even only a few hours.

Short term foster care: Is when a young person moves
    to foster care on a temporary basis. For example, if the young person's parent
    has fallen poorly, the young person will be given a short-term foster placement
    where they can be looked after whilst their parent gets better. Short term
    foster placements can turn into long term placements or even adoption however the
    young person is eventually able to go back to their birth family.

Long term foster care: Is when a young person is
    unable to return to their birth family for whatever reason. They will live in
    their foster placement until they age out of the care system.

Respite Foster Care – Respite care is short term care
    for children and young people when their regular carer may need a break. People
    who go into respite care are often already in another form of care, for example
    being looked after at home or in kinship care with an elderly relative, or
    where the child or young person is disabled and the parent/carer needs some
    time off. A respite placement is a short term foster placement that is often
    the same family throughout the time that a child or young person needs respite
    care (although this is not always the case).

Private Fostering – Private Fostering is when someone
    who is not an immediate relative or a friend of the child/child’s family is
    looking after a child for more than 28 days. This is done without social work
    involvement. It can be extended family for example a great aunt or a
    cousin (but not an aunt). The local authority must be informed if a
    child is staying with someone for over 28 days as they need to ensure the
    placement is safe and suitable for the child. A social worker will be sent
    within a week to ensure the home is safe for the child and will ensure the
    plans for the child staying there are fully agreed and understood by both the
    parents and the carer. This is to avoid a situation where a carer is looking
    after a child longer than expected or a carer believing they were caring for
    the child longer term than the parents thought.

Residential Care – Residential care is
    basically a big house where a set amount of young people live. Young people who
    live in residential care are usually, for whatever reason, uncomfortable with
    foster care. Residential care is good for young people who prefer not to have a
    ‘family environment’ and would instead like to live around other young folk.
    Residential care homes are always monitored by staff members who do not live in
    the home but work set shifts. A young person who lives in resi will also have a
    key worker who they can talk to about their issues. The key worker will go to
    the young persons parents evenings and  doctors appointments etc, etc. The YP will
    often have meetings with their key worker just to check in to see how they’re
    getting on. In residential care you will have your own bed room, a shared
    kitchen and lounge and a laundry room. There is usually an office too, where
    the staff can be found. Every residential care home has their own set rules,
    these are usually written and put somewhere for you to be able to see and young
    people will often have meetings to discuss the rules and anything they’d like
    to change.

Adoption – Adoption is when a young person is
    unable to go and live back home with their birth parents. Adoption is where a
    new permanent family is found for the young person. When a person is adopted
    the adopters become the child or young person's legal parents and have the same
    rights and responsibilities as if the child was born to them.

Secure Care Homes – Secure care homes are for
    children who are a risk to themselves or to others and no other placement is
    suitable to keep them safe. This can be due to self-harming or running away
    potentially. It can also be for children and young people who are remanded to
    custody or serving a custodial sentence. This type of placement provides the
    care, education and support needs for every person. Mostly people in this
    placement are very vulnerable and have complex needs.

Looked After At Home – Children and young
    people become looked after at home when the children’s hearing determines that
    a supervision order is necessary however the conditions of where the child
    should live are not specified. This means the child or young person may live at
    home with their parents however social services will continue to monitor the
    situation closely. This situation could occur before intervention is needed to prevent
    the child going into another form of care or it could occur when a child is
    returning home from another form of care and it ensures the child remains safe.

Semi-independent Care – Semi-independent care (sometimes
    known as independent living) is for young people aged 16-18 years old. This is
    where young people in care can prepare for life after care. They will still be
    supported by care workers however will learn the vital skills, like cooking,
    cleaning and bills before they transition into adulthood. Semi-independent care
    will bridge the gaps that care leavers may be left with after leaving care.

Care Leavers – Care leavers are adults who have left
    care. They have to have spent time in care since they were 14 years old and
    must have been in care on or after their 16th birthday. There is a
    wide range of support for care leavers including financial support and living
    support (plus more). Usually young people leave care at the age of 18, however
    some young people are now able to stay in their placements until they turn 21.

Hiya anchor,

You've forgotten a type of care

SGO orders