Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's the best piece of advice you received?

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
Sometimes we just need a little encouragement in our lives. I wanna know the one piece of advice that stuck with you - as it may stick with someone reading it too! 

Bonus points if you can give an example of when the advice came in handy!

Best piece of advice I got was that life isn't handed to you on a plate, you gotta work for what you want and commit to opportunities that arise along the way. 

By following this advice I was able to move abroad alone and compete at a high level for my sports! 
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Best piece of advice I’ve ever been given is to wiggle my toes whenever I’m nervous or hyper 

When I’m nervous or hyperactive (esp at school) I’ll usually bounce my knees, click my fingers or just make it dead obvious that somethings going on.

My mam suggested wiggling my toes whenever I’m nervous or have lots of energy and I find it super comforting to know that no one can see my toes wiggling so I still come across as confident ... and it’s less annoying for folk when I’m hyper :lol: 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Wiggling your toes is a good one I use that instead of bouncing my legs now 😂

I quite like the advice that came from my best friend.
    She just said, hun do you think people truly care what you do? And if they did why does it matter? They should be focusing on more important things.
     And I got that, we often care what others think but in reality why does it matter they're not us they don't know the whole story. Just focus your time on you and surround yourself with good people :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    The piece of advice  that I try let guide me is: Be the sort of person you needed in life. I know I can think back to a time when I felt stupid for asking a teacher a question, or when someone was unfair/rude to me, and so on. So I now try let that phrase guide me.

If someone asks me a question and I think its obvious they should know the answer instead of being rude and patronising I think back to how I would have felt in that situation. I think its important to take a step back and think "When I was in that situation in life, what would I have needed?"
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Believe in yourself and think about what you would tell someone else if they were in the same situation as you.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    My dad always says to me 'there's nothing to worry about until there's something to worry about'. He knows that my anxious mind can worry a lot about 'what if'. This advice really helps me to stay focused on the present and what has actually happened so far. If the thing you are worried about does come true, then you can handle it then, but don't waste your energy worrying about something that might not ever happen <3
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Treat yourself like you would treat a good friend 

That'll always be my go-to. We find kindness for everyone else around us but can be so nasty to ourselves!! When I’m being hard on myself I try to remember this and think about what I’d say to a mate that was feeling the same. 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Little bit of practical advice for everyone, if you can feel yourself having a panic attack or a disassociative episode or something similar something that can immediately help is to grab an ice cube and crunch on it. Basically the cold feeling and loud crunching can help snap you back to reality and it also helps hydrate you a little. I know it sounds a little silly but it really can be a big help in the moment! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    edited November 2020
    Damn, this thread is a gold mine. :tongue:

A nugget from my professional life: don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Even if you know you can do a better job on something, 'done' is better than 'perfect'. I'm a perfectionist at heart so I need to pinch myself and think about this on a daily basis, to be honest!

From my personal life: grief is a non-negotiable part of love. I found this extraordinarily helpful during a pretty dark year, and keep thinking back to it when I need to.

The piece of advice  that I try let guide me is: Be the sort of person you needed in life.

I also can't remember where I heard this, but @Jordan this is a North star for me too. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    This post hasn't been used in a while but with all the new members since the last comment I think it could come in handy and it would be nice to see some of the newbies with the best advice they've been given!

In times like these we gotta take some and give some <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `