Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Work related questions for those with BPD /EUPD

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
1) Do you have a stable Idea of what you want to do with your life in terms of career prospects or does that change quite often?

2)What are some of the challenges that you've faced during employment and how have you overcome them?

3) Do you tell people at your work about your diagnosis?

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster

Not sure if I can comment on this as I don’t have a diagnosis of BPD. However, I have struggled with depression and anxiety, have been through some difficult things in life, was concerned about having BPD, but now think I may have autism/adhd. In short, I know how difficult it can be to have strong emotions and not feel like I have a stable sense of self.

For me, my ideas for a career have changed over the years. Often related to other people and how I see myself. When I was younger, I wanted to be a vet, then decided I wanted to work with animals in general. After going through some stuff and becoming attached to a particular teacher, I decided I wanted to go into teaching. However, I struggle socially and am very quiet, and when the time came to actually apply for teacher training, I didn’t go through with it. Due to my volunteering here and elsewhere, I decided I wanted to be there for others, kind of like how my favourite teacher was there for me. After having received counselling, I decided I wanted to be a counsellor. But again, I was socially awkward, messed up the interview, and realised I wasn’t 100% sure that I actually did want to be a counsellor as my idea was quite naïve. Now, I feel I have gone around in a circle, because I’m actually looking into working with animals :p

I’ve not been employed so can’t really answer that question. However, I reckon I will find asking for help, worrying about being a burden/not fitting in, dealing with anxiety and feeling overwhelmed may be struggles for me.

I don’t have a diagnosis. If I did, I probably wouldn’t want to talk about it unless I needed to or I felt comfortable and could trust work colleagues (any diagnosis, not just BPD, for fear of being treated or seen differently).

Hope others with BPD share their thoughts too!

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.