Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should schools still be open in the second lockdown?

for whatever answer you give give a reason.

I think they shouldn't be open because the rates have gone up and Borris doesn't want us to mix but when we are at school we see lots of people so it's stupid really we are allowed to go to school college and uni but we can't go meet people

Should schools still be open in the second lockdown? 11 votes

Yes
54% 6 votes
No
45% 5 votes
I don't know
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    edited November 2020
    I haven’t voted because I’m really torn on this. 

On one hand I think you’re absolutely right, the Covid rates are very high and a lot of it is among the 16-19 age group the older students in schools and colleges. I’m not in education anymore but if I was, I’d be expected to mix with hundreds of people a day at college, but not see one friend at home. Which does seem a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

But on the other hand, when I was studying in the first lockdown, the lack of routine and online learning really affected me - both in terms of my academic results and my overall wellbeing. Both of which got drastically worse. Had college been open, I’d have kept a better routine and may have ended up getting on better (that’s by no means a certainty, but I do think about it often). 

Overall I think the wellbeing of young people is most important, but how that is managed is what I’m struggling to decide. Do we manage it by closing schools and keeping people safe from covid, or leaving schools open and keeping that sense of routine?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The government weren't going to do any scheme to help those children who have school meals.. meaning if schools closed, children would go hungry for 4 weeks. For some kids, school is the safety place, for those kids with a lot going on at home, school is safe. Keeping routine is also important for kids. It was horrible for them the first time round. They couldn't go out to play, they couldn't see anyone. They had to learn at home, alone. At least in schools they are in bubbles, they can play with kids in their bubble, they can learn with kids in their bubble, they aren't alone. The bubble system is working, if a member of staff or child is positive, the bubble is home and doing online learning for 2 weeks then back in school. 
    I think we forget how important school is for children's overall social, emotional and physical development. As someone who works in a school, I can understand why people are worried, I'm worried. But I also know how important it is for children to have some form of stability.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Yes they should. 
    Weekender Offender