Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hello Everyone :)

jurlew4111jurlew4111 Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
As you might be able to tell, I'm new to this community. I just finished reading through all the topics in the "Start Here" section.

For an introduction, my name is Julia. I am someone who loves animals, especially dogs. I also love to be silly. My interests range from dancing (ballroom or freestyle), to reading, to art, to learning and so much more. I hope to become a librarian in the future. Specifically, to be a librarian you need a Master's degree in Library Science. I hope to someday work for a public library for either the Teen section, Adult section, or cataloguing. I simply love books and knowledge. It is one of the greatest feelings to be surrounded by books and be in a library environment.

I met my husband of 2.5 years in ballroom dance classes at the nearby community college. Some of our shared interests include dancing, D&D, videogames, knowledge/learning, silliness, and cute things. I have converted him into a dog lover 😆 My profile pic is from our wedding and I am holding my family's dog. Her name is Sophie and she is a bichon frise (12 years old).

I absolutely love exercise and all things sports/games. I used to play soccer/football until a foot injury in 7th grade and I never went back sadly. I played midfield because I loved running to defend and running to help the strikers. I am a cross country runner at heart and have always loved running. Recently, I haven't been able to run more than a minute because I have had this inflammation in my ribs that even the doctors don't know where it came from. It was supposed to go away within a year, but it's been 3 years now and I can't run more than a minute without it hurting a lot. So, I have taken up roller blading and I hope to get a scooter soon because I forgot how fun it is to ride! My friend is encouraging me to try mountain biking and I also love to hike. Walking is more doable with my ribs, but anything that makes me have to breathe a lot is hard for it. I've never had asthma or anything, but I wonder if it is a similar pain?

Currently, I work for my family's business doing web design. I work under my sister who is the top web designer and I get along very well with all my coworkers most of the time 
;)  I used to work as a library assistant at the nearby community college, but got laid off because of covid and will be rehired when they have the students come back to in-person schooling (which won't be any time soon sadly).

Personality-wise, I am a fairly open person. I'm not too shy, but not super outgoing either. I am about half and half for introversion/extroversion. Which means I'm perfectly fine being by myself and keeping myself occupied/entertained, but I still need human interaction usually daily. My husband is very introverted, so sometimes I have to hang with my sister to give him a break 😅 I am definitely a people-pleaser and have always fought against that nature because some people-pleasers tend to not take care of themselves before trying to take care of others.

Oh, if you couldn't tell by my spelling or by the "soccer" reference, I'm from the US on the West Coast. So, the time difference is a lot.

If anyone wants to chat or send me photos of cute animals, I would absolutely LOVE that! I can send you back cute animals too if you're interested. I practically collect cute animal photos.

For mental health stuff, I am diagnosed with anxiety and depression as well as panic disorder...I can't remember if there was anything else other than those. I also recently-ish learned that I am a Highly Sensitive Person (search The Highly Sensitive Person if you want to know more) and I love talking to other people about the new things I'm discovering about that. It is so helpful to know this if you are also a Highly Sensitive Person! In a similar vein, I am also an empath which means I can feel and sometimes absorb what other people are feeling. I have been trying to work on figuring out how to control that to not let all the negative emotions flood in. It can be very hard sometimes, but it's really fun when around people who are extra happy or having fun!

Those are the major things about me that I can think of right now. Thanks for reading! I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend (It may be Monday when any of you get to reading this though cuz of the time difference). I am excited to be able to support you all and receive support in return! I'm also interested to learn whatever knowledge or insight you might have about life and people.

Take care everyone!
Julia
I just want you to know that I honor what you’re going through right now. I am here for you.

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Welcome to the boards Julia!! It’s great to have you here <3 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • jurlew4111jurlew4111 Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
    @independent_ Thank you! I wasn't sure anyone would see or respond to my post :smile::heart:
    I just want you to know that I honor what you’re going through right now. I am here for you.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Welcome!
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    That first post is always the most nerve racking isn’t it, I remember making my first ever post too. 

You seem like such a cool person 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Thanks! Do we have some interests in common, then? Yes, the first post is always nerve wracking :)
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Welcome to The Mix!
  • ThatFelixGuyThatFelixGuy Posts: 242 Trailblazer
    Hey Julia!

My name is Felix - really nice to meet you!  Hope the UK is treating you well!!
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves." - Bruce Lee
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Welcome to the boards! I am also from the UK however I lived Idaho (and Manitoba) for a year each. 

I study English literature so very interested in books and reading. Currently reading Parable of the Sower which actually the main character has hyper empathy! That's crazy. I'd recommend checking it out. 

What's your favourite book? 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Thank you @Salix_alba_2019! Hi @ThatFelixGuy :) So far, the UK has been very nice to me haha.

@Anch0r33, it's always fun to find another book lover! I am very very interested in reading the Parable of the Sower since they have hyper empathy. That sounds really interesting, but maybe also quite difficult?

"What's your favourite book" That's a very loaded question haha because there are so many! A couple of my favorite series are Jackie Faber and Throne of Glass, but there are so many other good books. Another favorite is a regency romance titled "Edenbrooke." I actually have to go get ready for work (the time slipped away from me a bit). I will be back with more fun books to talk about!
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited October 2020
    Welcome!!  I hope you enjoy it here! I love dogs too!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Aidan, oh my gosh! Maisy is your profile pic and she's adorable! I didn't even know about quokkas. Thank you, for such knowledge is much appreciated ;)  xD
    I have a bichion frise crossed shih tzu called teddy 🐶  🧸 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Shaunie, Teddy is adorable!!!!!!!!!! Is he in your profile pic? What a sweet fluff  :3
    @Shaunie, Teddy is adorable!!!!!!!!!! Is he in your profile pic? What a sweet fluff  :3
    Yeah he is! Bless him he needs a hair cut soon too fluffy lol
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I've got 3 spaniels, a bichon and a westie/llasa

They don't all live in the same house lol. 2 of my spaniels live with my mum, one spaniel with my grandparents and the 2 others are my bfs family's dogs but I've lived here for 9 months now. 

Got a lot of rats and other small animals too (but mainly rats LOL)
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Hey it’s great to see you here I hope to see you around the boards ❤️🥰
    @Shaunie LOL they get so fluffy so fast!

@Anch0r33, yay! Puppies! Rats are cute too :) Have you ever seen that pic of the rats with the tiny teddy bear? Let me find it.... Pin on Cute

@Emoji246, thank you! You too :) It's so nice to be welcomed by everyone :D
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Welcome to the boards 
    @Durhamjaide, thank you! I like your pumpkin profile pic :)