Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stammering awareness

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
It's International Stammering Awareness Day, and stamma.org have a bunch of things planned. They have information on support for stammering, as well as a webinar planned later today.

In the spirit of awareness, I'm curious how many people here stammer? And if you do stammer, what's your experience of it? Both in terms of the stammer itself and mental health/social stuff.

I've stammered basically since I could talk and I get good days and bad days, usually linked to things like stress levels and tiredness. It used to cause me anxiety as a wee boi, but not as much now. :)
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Oh wow I didn’t know it was today :) 

I used to stammer a lot when I was younger and I went through a lot of speech and language and I was teased a lot for it in primary school .  I struggled to get through my English Speaking exam and managed to just scrape through. Since I moved to college it’s meant that I don’t really speak in class and I haven’t made much friends despite being there for 3 years now :/

For me now it’s more when I’m anxious that it can become more noticeable which as you can imagine right now it’s pretty prominent. So I’ve kind of avoided speaking but I found if I speak fast I tend to avoid stammering but then I get all out of breathe so it doesn’t really work  :# but I do find if it’s with people I’m comfortable with I don’t think it’s as noticeable 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • ThatFelixGuyThatFelixGuy Posts: 242 Trailblazer
    I have never had a stammer, but my best friend had a stammer and a lisp. Both are reallly getting better, especially his lisp. Some days his stammer canbe really bad - especially when he is concerned about something or someone.

On the most part he is super cool with it tho and he is still living his life to the best :) 

Everyone with a stammer - you rock!
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves." - Bruce Lee
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Never had a stammer myself I think I just suffer with the name mixing up like Aidan and adding too uhs to the sentence 😂

My best friend from college has one when it came to the letter s. She will be stuck on it for a while. I know she hated when people would finish the word for her rightly so. She didn't have much trouble with it aside from school years :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    I didn't realise there was an international stammering awareness day! 

I don't stammer and don't know anyone in my life who does (though I have cousins who had speech and language therapy when they were younger). That said, when I'm very anxious, I do struggle to verbally communicate (can only get a few words out or words that don't seem to make sense) so I can empathise a little. 

It's cool there is awareness for stammering :) 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.