Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teenager Mom

Hi guys 
What are your thoughts on Teenage Mom's  :'(

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I know many teenage parents and most of them are wonderful. They’re great parents who are absolutely devoted to their kids. 

It’s the making of some people. Most of us wouldn’t choose to go down that path but if it happens it often turns out very well. 

Of course you’re always going to have the odd few who aren’t good parents - but that could be said for adults too 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Thanks for the comment I appreciate it  <3  @independent_  
    It’s no problem.

It’s a fair question to ask really I’m 17 and I can think of 5 people around my age who are either pregnant or who have young babies. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    @independent_ I only asked because my boyfriend who I really don't want to be with basically I got dragged in the relationship.
    He wants children and I don't  :'(:s  
    Thankyou @Aidan but the trouble is I don't want to upset him because when I upset people I end up feeling very guilty  :s  
    @Aidan I also thing the mums have it harder than the dads, a lot of responsibility is placed on women of all ages and we’re expected to take most of the responsibility for kids, house stuff, etc. 

I don’t know many people who wanted or expected to become parents at this age, as a 17 year old I certainly don’t want to but if it happens to me I’d like to think I could embrace it and be a good parent.

@Emoji246 I agree that if you don’t want to be in the relationship, you really should be honest. I’ve been in a relationship now for 2.5 years and even now, honesty and communication are just as important as they were at the very beginning. 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey emoji I understand you don't want to upset him but kids are a huge thing you shouldn't have to go through it you don't want to absolutely not. 

If you're both not in the same place in life and you're not really into him would it better to break up?

I know you don't want to upset him but you deserve to be happy too communication is key!

I have a friend who's a teen mother she's a wonderful mother but you have to want and love that baby with all your heart it's a big change that lasts a long time :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Obviously everybody's different, but I would generally advise against having kids very young. Not because teenage parents can't be good parents, but because I think tying yourself down with a child so young means you'll likely to miss out on so much other stuff you could be doing, that you can't do when your older.

Use your youth selfishly. Be a hedonist. Go travelling, have relationships with different people, party, have a good time. 
    Do all this before children, mortages, bills and other serious commitments. There's plenty of time for that later.

Weekender Offender 
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    It shouldn't be about what other people think about teen mum's - f*ck em. It should be about what you want, what your feel ready for. 

There is no right or wrong answer because it's an individual (and couple decision). 

If you don't feel ready or don't want kids yet - don't have kids yet. 

You need to tell your boyfriend how you honestly feel - write a letter if you find it easier. He might be under the impression that you're wanting kids because you're not saying otherwise. 

My bf and I went through a major pregnancy scare and by the end of it I was really hopeful I was pregnant and ended up not being. 

My bf told me how he honestly felt and we made an agreement to make it work. If he's not ready then I will wait for him. It should be the same with your bf - if he really cares about you then he'll wait :) 

<3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    It is completely your choice as to what you want to do with your body although pressure in relationships can make it really hard to be assertive.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Forget about age, if you don't want to be in a relationship with this fella don't have a child with him. Sounds like a terrible situation to bring a child into.

Wait until you are with somebody you do want to have kids with, and don't be in a rush to do. There's no going back.

Weekender Offender