Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to use emoji

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited October 2020 in Help Desk
Hey everyone,

You may have noticed that when you're posting on the boards, the little emoji button:  only gives you 12 emoji to choose from! :scream:

But fear not! The boards do have a lot more to choose from. :relieved:

If you're using a computer (not a phone), the easiest way to add emoji to your post is to type a colon : followed by the name of the emoji you want.

As soon as you type a colon you should see a list of suggested emoji pop up. You can start typing the name of an emotion or facial expression to refine the list and find the right one:

If you're on your phone, you can simply use your phone's built-in emoji.

Here is the full list of emoji built into the new boards and their codes:

httpscdn2hubspotnethubfs95135Imported_Blog_MediaTwitter_Emoji-5png

Plain text list:

:-1: (thumbs down) :+1: (thumbs up) :angry: :anguished: or D: :astonished: :bawling: :bleep_bloop: (space invader-type thing) :blush: or :3 :cold_sweat: :confounded: or :s :confused: or :/ :cookie: :cry: or :'( :dissapointed: :dissapointed_relieved: :dizzy: :expressionless: :fearful: :flushed: :frown: or :( :grey_question: (question mark) :grimace: or :$ :grin: or :D :heart: or <3 :heartbreak: :hushed: :innocent: or o:) :joy: :kiss: :kissing_blush: :kissing_wink: :lol: :love: :mask: :mrgreen: :naughty: (devil face) :neutral: or :| :no_mouth: :open_mouth: or :o :pensive: :persevere: :rage: or >_< :relaxed: :relieved: :scream: :skull: :sleeping: :sleepy: :smile: or :) :smiley: or =) :smirk: :star: :sunglasses: or B) :sweat: :sweat_smile: :tired_face: :tongue: or :p :triumph: :trollface: :unamused: :warning: :weary: :wink: or ;) :worried: :yum:<br>

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by JustV on
Tagged:

Comments

• AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Mike can we have a hug emoji soon? If it's possible. It's the only thing missing. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey @Abigail

We do need a hug emoji! It's not something that's possible to add at the moment, but hopefully it's a feature Vanilla will add soon :) 

- Aife
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Just updated the main post with a newer list, with what appear to be new additions, including but not limited to: :mrgreen: and (my personal favourite) :bleep_bloop:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    :bleep_bloop: 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    edited October 2020
    Plain text list added for those who can't read images. :)

For any techies: any idea how to make the line breaks show up as line breaks rather than the code <br>? It's using the 'code' wrap which strips out any formatting and replaces it with code, so admittedly that's what it's meant to do. I'm just pretty sure I've managed to get line breaks appearing in a code box before, but I've no idea what I did differently this time for it not to work. Might just be me!

For anyone who happens to use a screen reader: I assume the <br> is super annoying?
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited October 2020
    Yes i wondered what that was. No idea how to fix it but reads a bit funny with my reader
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Mike this doesn't really answer your question but @liam made a list of the emoji codes in written text here (https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3596838/emojis#latest? If that's useful? 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    That’s not all of the funky code stuff @Eleanor
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @liam yeah but if you put the words in colons then you get the funky code stuff 🤣
    Alis propriis volat 
    Eleanor said:
    @Mike this doesn't really answer your question but @liam made a list of the emoji codes in written text here (https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3596838/emojis#latest? If that's useful? 

Ah! I had no idea this thread existed - that's a good way of doing it. As @Liam mentioned, I wanted to include the colons, but that might not be possible while having it look good. :tongue: 

Cheers for the input @independent_ - I've just removed all the line break code for now and left it as a list of code. Not sure how useful that is, but either way we've got @Eleanor's thread too. :3

I personally think :cookie: is underutilised
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Smile

Big Grin

Frown

Mad

Embarrassment
    Confused

Stick Out Tongue
    Roll Eyes Sarcastic
    EEK
    Cool
    Wink
    Erm
    Up
    Down

Still the best emoji pack (back when they were called smilies)

Weekender Offender 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    They look great @Skive It shows how much The Mix has changed since you first joined.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous