Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you enjoy university?

Past UserPast User Posts: 90 Budding Regular
edited March 27 in Work & Study
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey Erin, what course are you thinking about studying? I study biomedical science and am on placement atm (in between my second and third year). I get anxious really easily and always found it hard to talk to new people. I would say that most people feel similar though and most people are nervous at first. It’s fairly easy to find people with similar interests as you though, if you join societies and things like that. I actually ended up meeting a lot of my friends and my second year housemates from a anxiety/ homesickness workshop from first year 😂. I’m not going to lie university can be stressful at times, but I probably found it not that much worse the sixth form. 

It’s okay whatever you decide to do, I think it depends what you want to do. Can you do what you want by going through other routes? Because there are lots of ways to get into different careers now if you decide uni isn’t for you x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 90 Budding Regular
  • Knowledgepower14Knowledgepower14 Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
    edited October 2020
    Hey @errrin! I totally get the worries about uni, but i felt like it was such a great place for personal growth! I've recently graduated, and i wouldn't trade the experiences i had for anything else. I too struggle in some social situations, but university is such a diverse place that i never felt like i was forced to do anything i wasn't interested in. It is definitely important to choose a subject you're interested in, so that's something to think about...try and imagine what would lead to a job that you'd genuinely enjoy. Then you can complete university with the knowledge that it'll lead to something equally as fun in the future! 

I feel like University will give you the space to work on your practical skills while also giving you a genuine plan for the future. But definitely make sure you choose a subject you definitely enjoy! That's so much more important than the social aspect...you'll find your crowd and eventually your university will feel like home. Good luck, just don't stress - whatever choice you make will be best for you and that's all that matters  :)
  • Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    edited October 2020
    Hey @errrin !!!

I graduated from university this summer ! Hope I can help too !

I wouldn't describe myself as an anxious person but I was very nervous about going to uni. You sound a bit like me. I definitely wouldn't describe myself as a practical person so uni was perfect because it's mostly theoretical (depending on the course). 

Firstly, I'd say uni is very good for building confidence. It built mine a lot! There are lots of groups and societies to join so you can find people who share the same interests as you! The social part of uni is fun. The academic part is hard. I'd just say, if you do decide to go, don't forget why you're there :lol: 

Secondly, I'd say don't stress "too" much about what you want to do. I had a brief idea of what I wanted to do. I studied psychology... because I liked it. I've seen that you said you're interested in zoology. If you're passionate about it, then you've already made a good decision. Many people I know have degrees in courses they don't even like :scream: . Also, unis have career services. They will help guide you in the right direction. My uni had a careers fair where I met a charity. I have now been employed through this charity. I did not plan this when I left college :flushed:

When ever I need to make a big decision, I just think, "what's the worst that could happen" :lol: 

I have attached the Prospects website. I think they're really good for career planning, https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

I hope I've helped! 
  • Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hey again @errrin

No worries!

Just remember, you have loads of options at uni. There is much more freedom to do what you want to do! :+1: Always reach out and never suffer in silence if things begin to get tough! A friend of mine took a gap year in the middle of their course, now they're graduating next summer. There are always options. 

Good Luck!